Like the title says, does the amount of wire between the pickup, and the volume Pot effect anything? Like, say would 8 feet of wire effect anything negatively?
wow that dude has 12 feet of wire between his vol. pot and his pickup? i wonder where he stuffed it all? anyways, no the length wont be an issue. what can cause problems is the guage or thickness of the wire. make sure to go with atleast a good 18 guage. a little thicker is better. make sure it is a quality insulated wire or you may get interferance (hum,static,feedback,radio stations,buzzing) hope this helps.
Theoretically, it does - wires do have some finite resistance. You could even calculate how much of an effect it has if you want.

Realistically, the difference is significantly smaller that you can actually hear, even with incredibly sensitive hearing. So the answer is "No".

Edit: as jymellis says, longer wires are more prone to picking up interference. Insulation won't help tho, as it's a dielectric, the EM waves fly straight through it. What you need is shielding - and really, all the cavities should be shielded anyway.
Last edited by Mad_BOB at Dec 12, 2008,
Quote by XxAltecxX
Like the title says, does the amount of wire between the pickup, and the volume Pot effect anything? Like, say would 8 feet of wire effect anything negatively?

wut?

Are you sure you mean that, or are you talking guitar to amp/pedals?

Cable runs do effect sound, they kill off treble as far as I know.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
wire cutters. Soldering Iron. That's all i have to say about that...no need for 8 feet of wire inside a guitar cavity. That's like an antenna waiting to happen.

but yes, there would be a small bit of resistance i suppose.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
wire cutters. Soldering Iron. That's all i have to say about that...no need for 8 feet of wire inside a guitar cavity. That's like an antenna waiting to happen.

but yes, there would be a small bit of resistance i suppose.

Have both. Haha.

The idea is to remove the volume control from the guitar, and build a Wah-inspired pedal to house it in instead. Just to try, see if I like it.
Quote by jymellis
wow that dude has 12 feet of wire between his vol. pot and his pickup? i wonder where he stuffed it all? anyways, no the length wont be an issue. what can cause problems is the guage or thickness of the wire. make sure to go with atleast a good 18 guage. a little thicker is better. make sure it is a quality insulated wire or you may get interferance (hum,static,feedback,radio stations,buzzing) hope this helps.

Lol you're right. The wire is pushing against the scratchboard from within so everytime i unscrew all the screws of the scratchboard, the whole thing jumps outwards. Some service guy did it, he has this theory, that if the wire is tightly packed and can't move about inside, it would pick up less interference. Din really bother with him. I only experience buzzes and whines when my amp's at max volume and gain.
Quote by XxAltecxX
Have both. Haha.

The idea is to remove the volume control from the guitar, and build a Wah-inspired pedal to house it in instead. Just to try, see if I like it.

Why couldn't you just max the volume control on the guitar, and then use a volume pedal?
Quote by Mad_BOB
Why couldn't you just max the volume control on the guitar, and then use a volume pedal?

"maxing" the volume control is the same thing as having it not be there...A pot is a variable resistor to ground..

You should have told us you were going to throw a circuit in there dude, makes sense now haha. But still you'd probably need at the most, one foot of wire for one run from guitar circuit to wah. depends on where you're putting it, could put it in the trem cavity if you have one. If this worries you, you could build a basic buffer and put it in there with the wah.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
"maxing" the volume control is the same thing as having it not be there...A pot is a variable resistor to ground..

That was exactly my point - why bother removing something that could be useful from the guitar itself, when all you've got to do is turn the pot to max, and it effectively isnt there?
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy

You should have told us you were going to throw a circuit in there dude, makes sense now haha. But still you'd probably need at the most, one foot of wire for one run from guitar circuit to wah. depends on where you're putting it, could put it in the trem cavity if you have one. If this worries you, you could build a basic buffer and put it in there with the wah.

Nah, I mean remove the volume pot from the guitar, and putting it in a external box (In the form of a foot-pedal that's kind of like a Wah in shape, and how the pedal operates).

Most likely sounds dumb, but I figure what the hell as long as it doesn't effect the sound in a noticeable way.
well if he is using a 250k pot on a high output pup then (open truely isnt wide open) . i guess im not really understanding the application or the why lol. are you wanting to remove the volume pot?
Quote by XxAltecxX
Nah, I mean remove the volume pot from the guitar, and putting it in a external box (In the form of a foot-pedal that's kind of like a Wah in shape, and how the pedal operates).

Most likely sounds dumb, but I figure what the hell as long as it doesn't effect the sound in a noticeable way.

In that case, Don't just remove the volume knob and put it in something else, that's lame. haha. If you're going to do something, do it right. Build a simple active volume pedal. The circuit is not difficult at all, and instead of just swelling down, it will also swell up. You don't need wire for your application either, bypass the volume pot in the guitar, leave it there for looks maybe, and just use regular instrument cable running from guitar to pedal to amp.

If done corrrectly, this will be useful.
Quote by Invader Jim
More wire means more background noise. When I have cheap guitars come into my shop for setups, the first thing I do is cut out the extra 3 or 4 feet of wire that is installed in most cheap guitars. This instantly makes the guitar sound better. It isn't that the "tone" is different but it gets rid of hum and background noise. Even if you are using shielded wire inside a shielded guitar you still get hum and background noise from wires that are too long.

So can you hear the difference between a 12 foot long wire and a 12 inch long wire leading to your volume pot? Hell Yes! It the difference to do with "tone"? Not at all. It's only to do with background noise.

Keep your wires inside your guitar as short as possible.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
More wire means more background noise. When I have cheap guitars come into my shop for setups, the first thing I do is cut out the extra 3 or 4 feet of wire that is installed in most cheap guitars. This instantly makes the guitar sound better. It isn't that the "tone" is different but it gets rid of hum and background noise. Even if you are using shielded wire inside a shielded guitar you still get hum and background noise from wires that are too long.

So can you hear the difference between a 12 foot long wire and a 12 inch long wire leading to your volume pot? Hell Yes! It the difference to do with "tone"? Not at all. It's only to do with background noise.

Keep your wires inside your guitar as short as possible.

Hell...looks like the service guy was some crackpot scammer, to hell with him and his theory, I'm gonna cut my wire like you said then. Maybe I did not realise my guitar's performance was terrible cos it's my first and only guitar, I'm sure I'll notice the difference when I cut the cable. Thanks.
Quote by XxAltecxX
Have both. Haha.

Missed this one before.

lead cables are bigger and better insulated and sheilded than wires inside your guitar. Your leads can be quite long before you get noticable background noise so what you are thinking about should work just fine, however, I don't see any advantage of removing the original pot, just leave it (like madbob suggested) and use your pedal too.

Quote by Tezzquill
Hell...looks like the service guy was some crackpot scammer, to hell with him and his theory, I'm gonna cut my wire like you said then. Maybe I did not realise my guitar's performance was terrible cos it's my first and only guitar, I'm sure I'll notice the difference when I cut the cable. Thanks.

let us know how things turn out.
Quote by Tezzquill

be sure to resolder the wire, dont just twist it back together and tape it. try and use heatshrink tubing if possible.
Thanks for the advice guys! Very helpful stuff!

Another question: Anyone have any experience with linear potentiometers?
Yup. Linear pots change in resistance at a constant rate. Audio taper pots (sometimes called log pots) change resistance at a logarithmic rate. Volume will change more smoothly using a log pot but there is nothing wrong with linear pots.