Hey I have a Green Squier Affinity Strat with a custom black pickguard and knobs and stuff. I also(just the other day) installed an EMG SA set into it. But my neck SUCKS!

Does anybody know the best way to smooth it out(like laminating) or completely eradicate the fret buzz? I have moved the truss rod and action so many times im on the verge of just going pete townshend on it
Quote by GODhimself37
Hey I have a Green Squier Affinity Strat with a custom black pickguard and knobs and stuff. I also(just the other day) installed an EMG SA set into it. But my neck SUCKS!

Does anybody know the best way to smooth it out(like laminating) or completely eradicate the fret buzz? I have moved the truss rod and action so many times im on the verge of just going pete townshend on it

Well, there's your problem
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Make it a fretless guitar :P.
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.
Quote by Lord Waltaa
Well, there's your problem

lol well is it possible to buy a fender neck separate so i dont have to spend a grand? cuz im either gonna do that or just buy i Hagstrom F20T. but with those new pickups i got i really dont wanna let it go...
1) Buy a mexican fender stratocaster, costs you about €500-600
2) What pickups did you buy?
3) if the mentioned pickups are better than the fender ones, and if they are compatible, put them in the stratocaster
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Quote by Gorre
Make it a fretless guitar :P.

Thats what I'm doing with my Squier lol The higher frets sound horrible so I'm removing them.

The best way to solve your buzz problem is to take it to a professional, but with a bit of patience you could do it yourself, but may end up making it worse. Just for now, get a bit of emory paper and clean up the frets by just carefully scraping the top and see if that helps.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
try raising the action ir string height a tad on the bridge. you may also want to shim the nut.
Quote by Lord Waltaa
1) Buy a mexican fender stratocaster, costs you about €500-600
2) What pickups did you buy?
3) if the mentioned pickups are better than the fender ones, and if they are compatible, put them in the stratocaster

i got the EMG SA set. I don't have enough for pretty much anything anything and if i did i wouldnt get another strat i would get a hagstrom f20T
I replaced the frets in mine so now it has level frets. But thats a 200$ job if you have to pay somebody to do it. You might see what it costs to get the frets leveled at a shop.
Quote by Tackleberry
I replaced the frets in mine so now it has level frets. But thats a 200$ job if you have to pay somebody to do it. You might see what it costs to get the frets leveled at a shop.

it was in the shop for 5 weeks when i didnt know too much about it. now that i know more about it it seems like they didnt do jack ****
Quote by GODhimself37

I like the way he thought telling us it was green was somehow relevant.
Quote by evilnatasking
I can play drums but I have no experience or own any drums.
Quote by In The Zone
I like the way he thought telling us it was green was somehow relevant.

I like the way you thought that your post was somehow relevant

TS, you mentioned that you've adjusted the truss rod and action quite a few times, maybe you should take it to a professional to get it sorted properly.
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
try raising the action or string height a tad on the bridge. you may also want to shim the nut.
although many ignorant people will disagree, it is often the case that squiers are superior to mexican strats in playability. make the neck perfectly straight with the truss rod and level the frets. however, the cost of levelling the frets as far as tools goes, you could buy 2 more squiers. fret levelling file, fret crowning file, tons of various sandpaper grits, and an end dressing file. oh and painters tape.
I'm a bit dissapointed in most (not all) of the people posting in this thread. You guys usually give helpful advise. What happened this time?

Before we can help you get rid of fretbuzz we need to know where it is buzzing. We need to know what frets and what strings. This will tell us if it's action, truss rod, or the frets that are causing a problem. It'll also help us to know how easy it will be to fix. Most of the time issues like these can be fixed in just a few minutes if you know what you are doing but when you don't know what you are doing they can plaque you for months.

Quote by LP Addict
although many ignorant people will disagree, it is often the case that squiers are superior to Mexican strats in playability.

I agree. I also think the tone of most poplar body squiers is better than that of the alder or ash body MIA strats. My favorite guitar is a squier I found in a ditch after somebody had caught it on fire.

however, the cost of levelling the frets as far as tools goes, you could buy 2 more squiers. fret levelling file, fret crowning file, tons of various sandpaper grits, and an end dressing file. oh and painters tape.

You don't need most of that stuff. I've even got all the expensive specialized fret dressing tools but I never use them because I can do a better job with the cheap ones that most people already have in their homes. When I level and dress frets I use a $2 knife sharpening stone and a $3 triangular file with the corners ground off. The sandpaper for a fret dressing is only another $2 and although I don't use the tape it would still only be another $2 or so. That means starting from scratch you can still do the whole thing for around $11.00 USD.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Dec 12, 2008,
TS it depends on what you paid for. If you got a basic 20 dollar set up they dont do much more than check/set the intonation, adjust the action if needed and maybe adjust the truss rod. Fret leveling, getting the nut cut properly, shimming the neck is gonna be much more money. And getting it done properly can be a challenge at many shops.
maybe a metal file would work if it is multiple frets? Fret jobs have always been my weakness.....
Quote by CorduroyEW
I'm a bit dissapointed in most (not all) of the people posting in this thread. You guys usually give helpful advise. What happened this time?

Before we can help you get rid of fretbuzz we need to know where it is buzzing. We need to know what frets and what strings. This will tell us if it's action, truss rod, or the frets that are causing a problem. It'll also help us to know how easy it will be to fix. Most of the time issues like these can be fixed in just a few minutes if you know what you are doing but when you don't know what you are doing they can plaque you for months.

I agree. I also think the tone of most poplar body squiers is better than that of the alder or ash body MIA strats. My favorite guitar is a squier I found in a ditch after somebody had caught it on fire.

You don't need most of that stuff. I've even got all the expensive specialized fret dressing tools but I never use them because I can do a better job with the cheap ones that most people already have in their homes. When I level and dress frets I use a $2 knife sharpening stone and a $3 triangular file with the corners ground off. The sandpaper for a fret dressing is only another $2 and although I don't use the tape it would still only be another $2 or so. That means starting from scratch you can still do the whole thing for around $11.00 USD.

damn nice lol... the fret buzz is mainly in the lower strings but on my d string there is a constant annoying mini-buzz that action or a bent neck doesnt seem to solve. the thing i hate the most is that in order to get all of the buzz gone, i have to set my strings very far away from the fretboard, which makes it a bitch to play. its not the nut either: every string on the lower frets is fine
Pay for it to be professionally setup at a guitar shop. If a decent luthier is available he should be able to get the best out of your guitar before you buy stuff like new necks etc.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
my string guage was just moved from .9 to .11....and i hate it. but i also switched from ernie ball's to d'addario....big mistake lol. i might experiment with DR's though my friend has a fender telecaster deluxe and his strings kick some serious ass