What is the best pick gauge (thickness) to use for strumming? I'm having a real hard time when I try to strum chords on the lower/thinner strings. Currently my strings are 10-46 and I plan to keep it that way. Right now I am using Dunlop Tortex picks but I'm going back and forth on the thickness. Using .50mm, .60mm, and .73mm to try and see which one works better. Any advice on how to strum properly? My pick keeps getting caught in between the strings and it is really frustrating me. Thanks
I prefer heavier picks. I believe it's just preference. (Like the Tortex picks also)
I don't think its the pick - its how relaxed your strumming arm/hand/wrist is - at least thats my problem. And normally if the pick gets caught its because I'm digging in too much...
That's all personal preference man. To me, logic says heavy picks for picking and thin ones for strumming, but I like 'em extra heavy all around, and control attack with the tightness of my grip.

What you need is practice though, a new pick isn't going to fix that problem.
I use Jazz IIIs for everything, once you get used to varying how hard you play, they're great
ohai little sig.
1.14mm dunlops
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.
Flimsy picks will promote sloppiness! If you can learn to vary your attack using a hard pick you'll easily be able to switch between rythym and single not picking.
I learned to like hard picks (> 1mm) a few years ago and never looked back.
Moving on.....
I usually play with .73 cause i can do both nicely, but most of it is in the looseness of your wrist....start off with crazy light picks then move up heavier as u get more comfortable
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
If you're strumming, you want to have a certain amount of flex in the pick. The nylon Dunlop picks are goode for this.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
i really like the snarling dog brain pics for strumming. i use .63 and really like the feel. I like the 1mm black jazz III too, ive only been playing for about two years now and i can use them both pretty well for both applications
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
I was using Fender Thin's for my acoustic.
They worked great for strumming, except I would break like 3 an hour.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
I was using Fender Thin's for my acoustic.
They worked great for strumming, except I would break like 3 an hour.

Yeah man I used to use fenders too. They would fracture on a sharp edge and actually cut you. They suck ass.
ya the fenders break on a regular basis.....i have been using nylons lately for rhythm guitar and it has been working fairly well.....but like they said its just a preference
I'm on Tortex (or Tortex knock off's) 0.88... plenty of good for strumming on either steel string acoustics or electrics. Thicker picks are hard for me to hold and thinner just don't help me to get enough attack (and volume on acoustics) for proper strumming.

I can't play a solo even if my life depends on it, so I'm playing rhythm most of the time, strumming or picking.

Nothing replaces the bare hand for acoustics, IMHO. But then you need to grow calluses ad it's a long and painful process on the thumb especially.

On your pick getting caught, maybe you're strumming with the pick too flat relative to he string. Try angle it a little bit, rotate the wrist on the upstroke so you take advantage of the pick's edge.... I hope that made sense.
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore
Try V-Picks, link in signature

They're just crazy good for everything.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by KenG
Flimsy picks will promote sloppiness! If you can learn to vary your attack using a hard pick you'll easily be able to switch between rythym and single not picking.
I learned to like hard picks (> 1mm) a few years ago and never looked back.

Flimsy picks promote sloppiness? Wait, what? I find thinner picks much harder to work with than thicker picks. It is harder to vary your attack with a thick pick, but it's a hell of a lot easier to economy pick and strum chords with a harder pick.
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Quote by FlyingBeerman
It is harder to vary your attack with a thick pick, but it's a hell of a lot easier to economy pick and strum chords with a harder pick.

Yeah, stiffness and thickness are often confused.

Then the material counts a lot for attack and tone. Some materials sound a bit different as others.

I had a stainless steel pick and it sounded cold. The tortex pick is warmer and those nylon ones area bit brighter than tortex too but not as cold as metal.

Also, some picks wear the tip easily. Tortex does not wear as much.

As with anything guitar, it depends on your ears.
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore
I use either Dunlop Nylon picks or D'andrea for strumming.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by FlyingBeerman
Flimsy picks promote sloppiness? Wait, what? I find thinner picks much harder to work with than thicker picks. It is harder to vary your attack with a thick pick, but it's a hell of a lot easier to economy pick and strum chords with a harder pick.

What I mean is you don't have to develop the ability to vary your attack as much. You can flail away pretty much when strumming with a flimsy pick and the give in it prevents you from striking too hard. I think it's harder to learn to strum softly with a hard pick but worth it. Then you don't have to change picks depending o what you're playing. WHen I used to play in a band the other guitar player and I traded roles depending on the song so it wasn't all rythym or all lead for either of us.
Moving on.....
http://davapick.com/

take a look at some of those, i ordered a bunch of different kinds of picks from them a couple weeks ago, they're great. I'd Suggest the Grip Tips. Take a look
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Eh, for me, if im playing just chords I like to use thinner picks...like a .88mm. Otherwise I prefer something like a 1.5mm or Jazz III

Tbh with you though, I think its totally different for everyone depending who you are
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
I use Ultex Jazz III picks for everything. Best pick I've ever used.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Strumming I like about a 73mm, lead i like 1mm, I like the tortex but sometimes sand them a little bit sharper. The sharpness of the point on the pick really effects the sound and feel as much as anything else. I like them a little sharper for attack. Recently had one of the small gibson heavys (teardrop black ones) It really gives you great feel and tone but is a bit awkward to hold...can't find it now and I only had one.
I use .5 (red) tortexs...
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"