Is it ok to angle a humbucker so that the bass response isn't as deep and pronounced? I've lowered the bass side on my neck humbucker to get a "thinner" tone to pull off a more clean strat tonal quality. It works a treat and sounds great so I'm thinking I've probably answered my own question.

Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Humbuckers don't work how they're ment to ("bucking the hum" of single coils) if they're not straight.

If you want to use your pickups as 2 single coils with a fatter sound then go for it, from what I've heard though thats just how they work.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone SG Special Customshop
Jackson JS30RR

Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss Metal Zone
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Ibanez Lo Fi
Behringer Tuner

Marshall AVT100X

Quote by IUseAPurplePick
Quote by Joshrocker48
I Use a purple pick.

+1
Humbuckers cancel hum because they have two windings wound oppisite way of the other to create a hum canceling sound.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by dunda130
Humbuckers don't work how they're ment to ("bucking the hum" of single coils) if they're not straight.

If you want to use your pickups as 2 single coils with a fatter sound then go for it, from what I've heard though thats just how they work.

Are you sure you read the question right?

In response to the question.

Yes you can.
Me lowering them won't have and effect then, as they are still opposite :P

Back on topic ...
Quote by M1llerman
Think I see your logic, though I'm not noticing and or excess hum ..

I don't...there was no logic in that post

Mismatched pickup heights is all part of getting the sound you want, I'd go as far as saying you have to mess with them as invariably they'll never be in quite the right place for you.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
All a question of taste right?

I only asked because a site mentioned that having it too far out of wack can cause issues.
i played an epiphone les paul custom at a music shop, and the neck pickup was already angled. it souned pretty nice, but i don't know if i can attribute that to the angle of the pickups
Fact:

If you move the bass side down of your pickup, the bass response will be down.

If you move it up, the bass response will be up.

Same goes for the treble side.
I've got bith my LP's set up just the way you're asking. Had one for 10 years the other for 12 and I've never had any issues. I think it helps let my high strings shine through.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by M1llerman
All a question of taste right?

I only asked because a site mentioned that having it too far out of wack can cause issues.

Exactly, some players like their neck pickup to have that extra bit of "boom" to it so will generally leave it level or bass-high...whereas every guitar I have with a neck pickup has the bass side lower than the treble to improve top-end response and give me the balance I personally want
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com