I was given this Guitar by a family member about ten years ago, when I had no interest in playing guitar(I was in to drum machines and samplers at the time). Anyway, I pulled this out of the closet and started searching online for information on it but I have come up empty handed. The headstock says Discovery and that is the only marking on it aside from the Gretsch at the bottom, which I am sure was added later. The body of guitar is in good shape but one of the pickups does not work, there is a loose wire to one of the knobs and the nut slides back and fourth but the guitar is as exactly as it was given to me ten years ago. Any thoughts?

Interesting. Never heard of Discovery. Web gives not a lot and the make isn't in a guitar bible book I have. I wonder if it was a small firm that made them but have since gone bust or something?

Could be a decent axe? Looks like usual maple, though could be cheaper basswood. What does it sound/play like unplugged?
I can't believe you left a treasure like this untouched for a decade...I've been drooling at guitars like this one that are hanging in shops....it's a hollow-body epiphone....
AS far as I know Gretsch is the brand name and Discovery would probably be the model. Me friend got what I believe to be the same guitar new the other day which sold for 700. Nice find! You should try to get that pickup working I bet it would sound nice.
Do you use a BR-600?
If so, click here to join the group thats made for you!
Quote by M1llerman
Interesting. Never heard of Discovery. Web gives not a lot and the make isn't in a guitar bible book I have. I wonder if it was a small firm that made them but have since gone bust or something?

Could be a decent axe? Looks like usual maple, though could be cheaper basswood. What does it sound/play like unplugged?

I have only been playing guitar for about 8 months and I usually play on my Les Paul but a friend came by and played on this one and was impressed by how it sounded. I have always assumed it was a knockoff of some kind and I never really put much thought into fixing the little issues it has. Do you guys think it would be worth taking in and have a new nut put on and the pickup fixed?
For the price you'll pay for that I would say yes. Could play really well and be an good alternative to a solid body. In short, even if it's half good it's worth having around.
first of all, that is a cool guitar; second, i have a similar problem. I have a white les paul style guitar, it was made in the sixties and has the Word MAXX in place of a gibson sign on the headstock but still has the four triangles with the bar in the middle(on the headstock)
it's has a tune-o-matic bridge(tune-o-matic IS engraved on the underside of the bridge)
and two GOTOH pickups, all the original hardware is intact,im have it rewired because the wiring is shot
Discovery made some pretty solid guitars at one point, so what you have there should be a pretty damn decent guitar.

yes, its a copy, but that doenst mean its low quality at all.

your only problem, as with many smaller companies, may be wiring and electronics.
but if you change the pups and maybe replace some wiring you have a pretty damn decent guitar there most likely.

I wish I had one, not going to lie.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Quote by Tezzquill
din see the discovery thingy....yep it's a copy...

well you can't really say it's a copy...someone could have just used the body and put the discovery neck on
Quote by MisterStrike
I have only been playing guitar for about 8 months and I usually play on my Les Paul but a friend came by and played on this one and was impressed by how it sounded. I have always assumed it was a knockoff of some kind and I never really put much thought into fixing the little issues it has. Do you guys think it would be worth taking in and have a new nut put on and the pickup fixed?

hell yeah dude
Questions, What is the white under the Bigsby? Is it plastic or painted? Does the guitar have a serial # or any info where it was made? Maybe a label inside one of the F holes. Is it a set or bolt on neck?

It looks to me like someone just put the Gretsch Bigsby on it after the fact that's why I asked about the white under it if it's a peice of plastic pickguard material it might be hiding where a differen tailpiece might have been attached. Aside from that it looks pretty decent and if you plan on keeping it it might be worth fixing. I never came across a Discovery brand guitar in all the years I have been collecting so this is the first time I ever knew they existed.

John
Quote by johnro6659
Questions, What is the white under the Bigsby? Is it plastic or painted? Does the guitar have a serial # or any info where it was made? Maybe a label inside one of the F holes. Is it a set or bolt on neck?

It looks to me like someone just put the Gretsch Bigsby on it after the fact that's why I asked about the white under it if it's a peice of plastic pickguard material it might be hiding where a differen tailpiece might have been attached. Aside from that it looks pretty decent and if you plan on keeping it it might be worth fixing. I never came across a Discovery brand guitar in all the years I have been collecting so this is the first time I ever knew they existed.

John

It is actually a piece of wood of some kind. You can look under the wood and see where the original tail piece was. Aside from the Discovery on the headstock there are no other markings. It is a set neck.