Is it the number of quality songs?
Is it the single amazing song you look for?
What is it?

I sometimes rent an album because I like a song, which was a case when I rented Journeyman by Clapton for Bad Love, one of the greatest riffs.
I also got the first Foo Fighters album for I'll Stick Around and Alone&Easy Target

Yeah, so I look for the number of good songs that are listenably catchy or in my taste.
Or I sometimes just look for the perfect song.
Quote by Horlicks
Good songs.

I expected someone was going to give that answer.

It's like this conversation:

"What do you like to read?"
"Books."
" "
A coherent set of songs that work as an album, not just a bunch of songs together on a CD.
Quote by ChrisN
A coherent set of songs that work as an album, not just a bunch of songs together on a CD.

This^

A collection of songs is just empty, this is why albums rule, you get an insight into what the artist was trying to to at the time, and i like other progressive thinks, like concept albums (The Wall), albums with a sort of theme (medical theme in In Utero), and just albums with continuity in their songs.
Last.fm!

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
I look for the same feel through the album as well as length. Reign in Blood sounded consistent but it was to short. By the time you get into the album it's over. Rust In Peace is long and all the songs have a similar element that makes them work together. For me the album needs to have its own style within the band's usual style.
consistency.
I don't think I've ever skipped a song while listening to Bleach (nirvana) or Rather be Hated Than Ignored (lower class brats). Damaged (black flag), Superfuzz bigmuff (mudhoney), and Wendesday Night Heroes (wednesday night heroes) are also damn good albums that have great songs, start to finish. The offsprings Consipracy of one is probably one of the better pop punk album of all time.
Quote by ChrisN

Nice one, that's a good statement.
Most albums these days seem to be limited in that characteristic since we can skip songs, where as that was hard and annoying to do when using a record player.

I wish I was born in the early 50s
Quote by ChrisN

What he said. The songs need to work together for me to like the album, that's one reason why I like Sixx AM's The Heroin Diaries. Even though I'm not a fan of all the songs they work so well together that when you listen to the album all the way through everything just sounds perfect.

The music on the album also needs to have depth to it. I despise most popular music because it feels like there's not much to the song other than your standard drum beat and bland music that anybody could come up with.
Btw I got Dark Side of the Moon, and yes it does make more sense when you listen to it in order.