I was looking at getting a Fender and I looking at these two:

Fender American Standard Stratocaster Electric Guitar (Maple, With Case)
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN110402

Fender American Standard Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar (Rosewood, With Case)
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0110100

My questions are:

1) Any difference between HSS and non-HSS

2) Maple vs. Rosewood

3) Are there any other Fenders just as or more better than the other two around the same price range?
Maples alot smoother than rosewood, personally i prefer it... The Hss will be better for high gain stuff where as the non hss will be better for cleans, Im preety sure this is the best fender strat in the price range
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
HSS - humbuck (bridge) single coil (mid) single coil (bridge)
SSS - 3 single coils

first guitar?

^No get a strat
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by Zulis309
HSS - humbuck (bridge) single coil (mid) single coil (bridge)
SSS - 3 single coils

first guitar?

Any advantage to this?
Quote by a2d2
Any advantage to this?

A humbucker will eliminate any hum, and give you a fatter tone. A single coil will give you a somewhat twangy thinner tone. Depends what kind of music you want to play.
SSS w/ Maple.

The tonal balance is better...

No inherently heavy tones, but still... Personally I prefer Teles to strats, but that's just me...
HSS Setups are much more versatile then an SSS.
Rosewood board is darker, sometimes a bit rougher, but give a darker tone. Maple boards are brighter in looks and tone, and are smoother.
I'd go with the HSS Rosewood, but thats just me. It all really depends on what you want to play.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
It really is the most important factor into buying a guitar. :/
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
i personally didn't find any use for the bridge's single coil. you already have two single coil why bother get another one. sure in the bridge position its more sharper but it just lack that punchy sound. my opinion of course.
HSS with maple fretboard I'd say
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I'd probably go with the standard SSS with maple... er if you check my sig this may seem like a contradiction (i built an HSH strat with rosewood fingerboard). I would have preferred a maple neck, i just couldnt get hold of one which wasn't like £100 more. I think you can beef up the tone in the bridge with the right amp/pedal if you get the SSS, but ultimately it depends what music you currently play or plan to play - otherwise you'll be left frustrated not sounding how you want to sound. If you like the sound of iconic strat players, hendrix, srv etc then i guess go with the standard.
Fender Strat Build
Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster MEX
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
Quote by The_Bosstone
I don't understand why no one has asked him what kind of music he'll be playing.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get the first one, the SSS config.

Thats only down to my passionate hate for humbuckers in strats though..

Its just not right.
^ yeah, EVH sucked.

it really depends on what music you're playing, and what tone you want. if you want traditional strat tone then, sure, you need SSS. but if you want most of the strat tones, but a bit more grunt in the bridge so you can play heavier stuff, go HSS.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a Standard, and I'm pleased. Highly recommend it.

I have the SSS, and it works absolutely fine with me. Going to be adding a humbucker though, for good measure.
HSS is much more versatile, and considering that the iconic strat sound comes from the neck single, you aren't missing out much on the "strat" tone by choosing HSS.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
HSS is my favorite type of guitar, you see I have the samash custom that is a HSS strat. It is extremely versatile, and you don't lose too many of the strat single tones, plus you get extra fat tone for my hard rock and metal music, I love it, my favorite guitar ever! It can only be better if there was a little bit less noise but that is what the American is for.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp