I've juts restrung it, and every time I tune it up to standard it lifts the bridge, I've tried to loosen and tighten the strings at the back to balance it but can't work it out.
How do I fix this, I need to be playing this guitar in less an hour!
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Wedge a block or cloth between the bridge block and back wall of the back cavity.

Tune to standard.

Holding the guitar on its side or facing upwards, tighten the trem springs until the block/cloth falls out.
will that sort it permenantly?
my springs are already pretty tight, about 1cm from the top of the cavitiy is that okay or is there any danger with them being that tight?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

are you using a heavier set of strings? or are you tuning to a higher pitch (ie: from D-standard to E-standard)? if so, then that would make sense that the bridge is lifting up in the back.
if you have it tuned to the pitch that you want right now, and the rear of the tremolo is lifted up, then you need to tune down 1/2 step or so, then tighten the screws that hold the spring claw in the back of the guitar to bring the strings back up to your desired pitch.
if the spring claw is all the way screwed in, then you need another tension spring
hope this helps. floyds can be a PITA

edit: pictures are always helpful
ahh yeah pics would have been good but i kinda paniced 'cos I need it in like a half hour lol.
I dunno about the heavier set 'cos it's the first time i've swapped the strings, think they might be a little bit heavier.
It is a right pain in the arse.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band

if you've got the spring claw screwed all the way in then you're gonna need another spring. i think most guitars come with 3. if they are parallel with each other then what you can do is do something like this:
keep the center spring going from the middle hole on the bridge block to the center claw hook. then take the two outer springs from the 2 outer holes on the bridge block, and move them over 1 claw hook so that they go diagonally. that will increase the tension. so it will look somewhat like this:

[bridge block here]
......\.........|......../
........\.......|....../ <= SPRINGS
........ \......|..../
.....n...n....n...n....n
[CLAW HOOKS]
Last edited by sethp at Dec 12, 2008,
Quote by blue_strat
Wedge a block or cloth between the bridge block and back wall of the back cavity.

Tune to standard.

Holding the guitar on its side or facing upwards, tighten the trem springs until the block/cloth falls out.

There's absolutely no point blocking it, all that will do is lengthen the time it takes to sort it out. In these situations you need to be able to see what's changing when you adjust things, you can't do that if you block the bridge. Blocking doesn't help at all anyway, you still end up spending as much time arsing round balancing strings and springs once you remove it.

You just need to do things gradually - sounds like you've restrung with a higher gauge than was already on the guitar, however if they're anything more that 10's I'd leave the guitar in Eb or D standard. If you don't want to do that then get rid of the strings and get a set of 9's. Start by trying to get the guitar in a rough standard or de-tuned standard tuning...try a full step down for the time being, doesn't need to be exact, just close enough. Once it's there check the bridge, if it's still lifted tighten the springs a little then retune and keep doing that. If the bridge is sunk down then you can try to bring the tuning up a half step, just keep re-tuning all the strings until you again get close to being in tune.

If it becomes obvious that you're not going to be able to tune higher without adding another spring then you're best bet is really just to get some new strings of the correct gauge. Floyds are designed to work best with a certain amount of tension in the system, too little and they become unstable, too much and they're practucally unusable.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com