Not sure if this is the right place to post this but seemed as good as any.

I'm making a documentary at uni, which just needs to be edited. And need some music. I could probably just use any song by a well known artist without asking for permission seeing as it would just be shown in a class room, but the general idea is to find music that is free of copyright, or get permission from a local band etc. Also if it is entered in to any competitions I wouldn't be able to use a song without permission.

Not entirely sure what I'm looking for, as a range of stuff could fit. But something without vocals and not metal or anything like that, more ambient etc. Maybe with piano, or acoustic guitar the key instrument?

What do you get out of it? You might get to hear it on my crappy doc when i upload it on youtube. Nah, it might just be interesting for someone to hear the music in a different context - or maybe someone just wants to help me out!

Please get in touch if you have any music or could suggest a track or friend etc. Thanks!
Fender Strat Build
Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster MEX
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
If you want to use anything off of my profile your more then welcome to. Just let me know so I can see the finished product

If not, thats cool too.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Haha, I'm not sure if smack that would really fit... but thanks for the offer anyway.

I should probably explain a little bit about the doc... the main focus is on this guy Max who is dyslexic and autistic, who became quite a famous juggler and still is i guess (he was on tv a few times etc). He also runs several successful businesses. It looks at attitudes towards dyslexia/autism from someone who actually has those conditions. Some of the visuals are just of him juggling or with his family in his shop, some are more arty/abstract. He provides a commentary throughout, so the music would probably be in spaces meaning something with a recurring theme would probably be best. The doc will only be 5-6 minutes long.
Fender Strat Build
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
Freeplaymusic.com is a great royalty free music site but read the TOS and FAQ first to be sure you can use it. I use them toy my online and some school videos but have started recording my own techno tracks and such this month.

edit, I was at college on the ipod when I original made that post, fixed the typos.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 12, 2008,
I'll write something up if you want.

My demo just to show I'm not some kid with a strat and a distortion pedal. If you want just piano, I can do that easy. Give me some ideas on the theme and the mood, I'll get started.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
It's difficult to describe exactly what im looking for, because I'm not entirely sure myself. The documentary in general is positive, so something brooding and sinister wouldn't really fit the bill! But at the same time, something uplifting would just be a bit cheesy. I think some simple piano line might work over some chords. Simple and subtle i guess.

Er. Does that make any sense? I was impressed with the demo. I don't need to give in the doc for around a month, but it would be good to get any stuff asap to see if it works. If you could come up with a few short ideas that i could listen to then choose one to expand on, then that would be great!
Fender Strat Build
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
Theres a track called 'waste time segue' by the fire theft - i guess i could just use that, to be honest i dont think it really matters if i nicked a well known song, but thought it would be interesting to find something new. But something like that could be cool.

You can hear a preview here - http://mp3shake.com/en/The_Fire_Theft/94202-Waste_Time_Segue_mp3_download.html - it only lasts 30 seconds but then the track is only a minute long.
Fender Strat Build
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
listen to the track called 'potential for a friends film' on my profile - it kinda fits the documentary, background, wallpaper type music that just keeps going on and on throughout the show

if you want you can use that in it, or if it needs to be longer i can rework some stuff in it for you. It was just an idea for a track that fits that kind of video style, so its all yours to use.
Quote by coolhandluke123

I'm making a documentary at uni, ...And need some music. I could probably just use any song by a well known artist without asking for permission

I'm glad you're not taking that route. Plagiarism is generally considered grounds for being booted out of not only your program, but your institution as a whole, ineligible to get any of your money back, and a citation of academic dishonesty on your transcripts. You could be totally screwed.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by richwatkinson
listen to the track called 'potential for a friends film' on my profile - it kinda fits the documentary, background, wallpaper type music that just keeps going on and on throughout the show

if you want you can use that in it, or if it needs to be longer i can rework some stuff in it for you. It was just an idea for a track that fits that kind of video style, so its all yours to use.

Thanks for the offer, I like the track - its almost the type of thing im after, but maybe a bit too uptempo, and the drums are a bit too prominent - as the music might be fairly low in volume i think the drums would probably just stick out.

Quote by axemanchris
I'm glad you're not taking that route. Plagiarism is generally considered grounds for being booted out of not only your program, but your institution as a whole, ineligible to get any of your money back, and a citation of academic dishonesty on your transcripts. You could be totally screwed.

Erm, i'd say where i got the track from - but id check with my teachers first whether i could just put the song in without permission from the copyright holder... if the documentary is just being shown in a classroom then i dont think anyone is gonna fly off the handle - whether that breaks copyright law, im not sure. I wouldn't use a U2 song and claim that id made it or anything like that...
Fender Strat Build
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
Okay, you're not claiming it as your own, but to use an entire work as part of your own presentation would most definitely require permission from the copyright holder. Mind you, even if you used a song by U2, in most cases, it couldn't possibly count for a synchronization license for one work to be shown a small number of times in a classroom setting.

The school pays a blanket fee to SOCAN, ASCAP, BMI, whatever that allows them to *play* music by other artists in the classroom. Taking that music and inserting it into your own media work is another ball of wax. What you are looking for is a synchronization license.

Your best bet would be to contact an artist here who can give you permission to use their work, or use one of the above-mentioned royalty-free sources.... creative commons, etc.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.