I have been learning the major and minor Penatonic scales for months and months now, and I wanted to mix another one in there. I tried the Chromatic but its a little to hard for me right now. Can I have some suggestions of what scale I should learn next, and what bands use them so I could listen? Thanks
A normal major or minor scale. You could try learning all three minor scales, Natural minor, harmonic minor, and melodic minor.
You could try learning some modes, like phrygian and aolian.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
The blues scale, depending on what you play and if you want to write or not.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
Quote by black-sabbath
The blues scale, depending on what you play and if you want to write or not.

That's the pentatonic scale that he's already learned.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
A normal major or minor scale. You could try learning all three minor scales, Natural minor, harmonic minor, and melodic minor.
You could try learning some modes, like phrygian and aolian.

I will try those out, thanks.
Last edited by El3ment380 at Dec 12, 2008,
Some of them will take practice, the melodic minor especially. It plays different notes going up and going down. If you do want to learn it, I would learn it after you learn your major and natural minor scale.
The harmonic minor and natural minor are both incredibly similar, just one note difference, so if you learn the natural minor first, the harmonic minor will be very easy to learn.
The modes will probably sound strange, but if you have the right tabs/notes to learn on, it will be fine.

Have fun.
it's all coming back

None.

Go back and make sure you understand the major scale, beyond that it's all just icing on the cake.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
None.

Go back and make sure you understand the major scale, beyond that it's all just icing on the cake.

+1

you can't actually learn ANY scales properly without first understanding the major scale. Scales are not patterns on the fretboard and simply learning a load of patterns teaches you very little and ultimately just confuses matters.

Josh Urbans Crusade articles in the columns section will help.

It's utterly pointless to try and learn something like the harmonic minor because you fully understand it you need to understand that it exists primarily as an alteration of the natural minor scale that was deemed to sound nicer over certain chords, and to do that you first need to understand the natural minor scale, and to do that you first need to understand the major scale and its intervals which are at the heart of all western music theory.

Same goes for modes, it's impossible to learn them unless you properly understand the context in which they can be used.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 12, 2008,
Ok I think I got it. Understand the major scale before I do anything else. I thought I could learn any scale, thanks for letting me know the right thing to do. I guess I understand those Penatonic ones because they are so easy. I got used to it because ACDC uses it in every solo they have pretty much. I suppose I should learn some solos that bands made using the major scale, so I could improv myself. Does Zep use it in the stairway solo?
Quote by Baby Joel
That's the pentatonic scale that he's already learned.

I don't think they're the same thing.
Like Steven, Zaph and even I occasionaly advocate, learn the MAJOR first, **** the rest of the scales.
Quote by El3ment380
Ok I think I got it. Understand the major scale before I do anything else. I thought I could learn any scale, thanks for letting me know the right thing to do. I guess I understand those Penatonic ones because they are so easy. I got used to it because ACDC uses it in every solo they have pretty much. I suppose I should learn some solos that bands made using the major scale, so I could improv myself. Does Zep use it in the stairway solo?

The minor pentatonic is the base of 99% of the rock solos in the world.

The point isn't that you shouldn't learn any other scales really but that in order to really understand and make the most of them you need a solid grounding in the major scale first. I realize that you just want to make music so go ahead and learn the pentatonics as well BUT make it your mission to understand the major scale as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.