So say i happened to come into a '67 Fender Bassman Blackface head, AB165 model. Its in very good condition, no cracks or anything. As much as i would love to keep it, im way too broke and i have to sell it.

Anyone out there that can help me put a price on this? Im not very knowledgeable about vintage gear.

thanks
I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been

To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen
The AB165 isn't a great amp stock but can be amazing when modified. It's one of the few that become more valuble after being modified. To estimate value we would need some pictures and we would need to know a few details about it.

When was the last time the electrolytic caps were replaced?
Has it been modified to adjustable fixed biase?
Has it had the negative feedback removed?
Does it still have the tube chart inside?
Is there any visible rust on the transformers?
Not taking any online orders.
I dont have it yet, it was found in a relatives basement and they are just giving it to me so unfortunately i cant check everything out. I had my cousin look at it and it "doesn't look like its modified" and i highly doubt it has been. it "has a paper on the inside talking about it" and "nothing looks rusty, just very dusty". this is coming from a person with very little experience with amplifiers, so yeah.

In that case you are going to need to get the amp serviced before you can sell it anyway. People are going to ask you how long it's been since it's had a cap job and if you can't tell them it's going to drop the value down to around $200 to $300. If you can't tell them if it's all original then that'll drop the value significantly too. If it is all original and it's in perfect condition with a recent capjob then you could expect around $600 or so. If it's been converted to true blackface specs then it'll be worth a little more.

Most of these amps sell for anywhere from $300 to $600
Not taking any online orders.
If i got the amp modified now would it raise the value? or is it just vintage modifications

If you want to sell it, depending on condition, etc. I'd be very interested if the price is right
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah once i actually get the amp and can inspect it for myself ill advertise to sell it

Quote by noleafcloverML
yeah once i actually get the amp and can inspect it for myself ill advertise to sell it

That's cool man, just let me know Figured since you said you need the cash, you don't have the cash to actually get it fixed up, as long as it turns on, etc. I'd buy it as is, been wanting to get my hands on a Bassman for a while, and I'm not really caught up in all the different "faces," doesn't really matter to me, I just want one
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com