I have a spider amp So I don't want to use a microphone, but I want to record the best quality available. I have access to the best recording software on the computer. Can anyone just give me ideas on things to buy? I'd rather get a 4 track recorder or something cheap and portable similar to the Boss BR 532? The price might be able to get a bit higher to about £70 or £80.

EDIT:By saving money, for my GSCE music composition I need to record, could I use this:

Guitar>Effects pedal>Line in on computer.
Quote by GrungeJunkie
Angry Squirrel is Angry!!!

Quote by Joe-Fish
Pain in the ass. We got 6 inches last friday. We got another 8 inches today. We're supposed to get 10 more inches by christmas.

Last edited by CypressHill at Dec 12, 2008,
Can I do

Guitar>Line in on computer?

or

Guitar>FX pedal>Line in on computer?

Will both of these work, and which would be better and why?
Quote by GrungeJunkie

Quote by Joe-Fish
Pain in the ass. We got 6 inches last friday. We got another 8 inches today. We're supposed to get 10 more inches by christmas.

yes you can, but the sound quality won't be very good.
With FX pedal is better cause when you tweak the sound before it goes into te computer because tweaking the sound on the computer will again reduce sound quality.
The best thing is doing as little on the computer as you can
It'll work , you just need a decent preamp running between the guitar and the line in , seeing how most pre-amps in audio cards suck and aren't ment for guitars.

So it should go something like Guitar > Pedals > Pre-Amp > Line in.
Ah, so do you think a zoom G2 is allright for recording a song with as a pre amp?
Quote by GrungeJunkie

Quote by Joe-Fish

It won't act as a preamp though. A preamp boosts the level of a weak signal, such as that from a microphone.

You really need an audio interface, you can read about this on the stickies at the top of the forum and on www.tweakheadz.com. With the budget you're looking at however, it might be better to go with something really cheap like the lightsnake.
There is poetry in despair.