hey people. i've been playng the guitar for some time and there are a lot of things about pickups that i don't know ( probably i don't know anything as you will see, so let's get started).
I'm not really sure but i guess it is the pickup that give the guitar it's sound/tone and there are more and less powerful picks. is this right??
You are right to an extent, PUPs give the guitar alot of tone, but it also has to do with the wood the guitar is made out of, if it is a solid body, or hallow body. The fretboard also is a facter, but PUPs yes are a big part of that. There is a huge range of PUPs, and what i consider power is the ability to handle gain, or distortion. PUPs, have a huge range of these attributes, no PUP is the same, they all differ in one way or another. A single coil like on a strat will not be able to handle the gain, as say an EMG81
ok so, one more thing. i have squier bullet strat, a cheap guitar made by fender to be affordable for begginers. so my question is : if you replace this squier's picks for real Fender stratocaster picks would it be like having a Fender stratocaster???
It will be close, sound wise, squier are a little cheap on the wood and hardware side, but it will be a great improvement, try the Vintage Noisless set if you can
ok it wont be the SAME, but it could be close, and can u start callng the pups or pickups, when u say picks , we all think of plectrum
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
I have a Squier affinity strat. The orginal setup was a SSS layout. I Replaced it with a GFS prewired pickguard with a HSS setup (~40). I can't tell much of a difference. The one I got actually looked like it was not put together all that well.

Fender pups cost a lot more from what I understand (never really looked), and there's a lot of them out there.

My next step up will probably be a MIM strat and stop messing with my Squier.

As mentioned above, there are a number of things that influence your overall tone. A Fender Strat's body is thicker compared to a Squier Strat body (as far as I know). The thickness affects your sustain, which is one thing I know I want.
just two more things.
1st: are humbuckers better than the other pups?
2nd: if i want to replace my pups for a telecaster pups or humbuckers, what would i have to do? Replace the pickguard?
Humbuckers have a different sound to them than single coils. It depends on what kind of music you like to play. single coils can get a little more "noisey". I use single coil for things like blues (and some rock). Humbuckers are really good for rock and and metal depending on what other things you have in your setup. If you are looking to replace a single coil with a humbucker, you could look into one of those single coil-sized humbuckers. They seem easier to install (at least to me). The one I know of is around $75, but there might be others. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SHR1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup?sku=300300

You might be able to get regular humbuckers in your guitar but you'd have to ask someone else about that...you'd have to cut into your guitar I think

Overall I guess I'm just saying humbuckers aren't necessarily better depending on what you play.
Quote by Nelv92
ok so, one more thing. i have squier bullet strat, a cheap guitar made by fender to be affordable for begginers. so my question is : if you replace this squier's picks for real Fender stratocaster picks would it be like having a Fender stratocaster???

Not remotely - it's not really worth upgrading something so cheap.

Pickups are a relatively small part of the tonal equation -- your sound is a product of your entire rig and you're only ever as good as the weakest link in the chain. More often than not, that's going to be your amp. Until you replace that weakest link tinkering around with less influential things like pickups is going to make very little difference to your tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Pickups are a relatively small part of the tonal equation

Wouldn't they be second only to the amp?
Niot really - it's kind of a sliding scale, people think that pickups will magically give you the exact tone you want and it's nothing of the sort. Pickups are the link between your guitar and amp, if either of those things are crap then pickups aren't going to improve matters.

Pickups do nothing on their own, obviously - and the "value" of a pickup is linked to the rest of your gear. A £90 Bareknuckle in a Behringer starter guitar plugged into a BB Blaster is utterly worthless, but stick it in a PRS plucked into a Splawn and it's worth it's weight in gold...the nicer your gear is the more worthwhile a pickup change is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com