for lack of the proper wording they only way i know to describe it is how it sounds to me, like it's screaming and shrieking at you ala eddie van halen. in THIS video around 1:10 and around 2:40 - is that just pinch harmonics + years of experience?

i can't do much on an electric yet but this is one of the things i hope to learn. all i have is a gibson les paul and a marshall avt50. how much of this is amp/effects and how much is guitar/technique?
hes using a floyd rose for that, would be impossible to do that on a Les Paul....
oh no! u only have a 4000 dollar guitar and prob a 700 amp thats terrible!
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by nowa90

...What?

To the TS: You can't do that without a Floyd Rose, though you could probably find some effects pedal for it.
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by nowa90

"Only" as in quantity. I don't suspect he has anything else.

Pinch harmonics. If you want to see PROPER harmonic squeals, they're littered all over this. Watch and learn.

As for squealing without a whammy bar, Van Halen managed to get some crazy screams going on with just string bending on his modded Ibby Destroyer; no whammy. Did it all with bends. So yeah, pinch harmonics and skill.
so it's pinch harmonics/whammy bar?

i wasn't complaining about my guitar or my amp, i just meant that's all i have + hardly any experience with an electric. i really dont like the amp to be honest but before i bash it i'm gonna actually try and learn/do some stuff first as i suspect the majority of the problem is the person using the amp and not the amp itself.

considering i've never heard another amp in person or played through any other amps makes me think it would be kinda unfair to talk badly about it at this point.

i have been thinking hard about building my own strat clone for shiggles so maybe i'll start messing around with that and i can put a floyd rose on it when i get far enough along.
Quote by Rock Pig
Pinch harmonics. If you want to see PROPER harmonic squeals, they're littered all over this. Watch and learn.

man i want to make my or any guitar for that matter do that, that is so freakin' awesome!!
^of course it is; he's god.

Quote by tenaciouswannaB
so it's pinch harmonics/whammy bar?

i wasn't complaining about my guitar or my amp, i just meant that's all i have + hardly any experience with an electric. i really dont like the amp to be honest but before i bash it i'm gonna actually try and learn/do some stuff first as i suspect the majority of the problem is the person using the amp and not the amp itself.

Actually, you're right. Marshall AVTs are a rip off
Quote by Rock Pig
Actually, you're right. Marshall AVTs are a rip off

i've read as much on other forums and through google searches. i got it for about 200 bucks tho, belonged to a bud who passed away. if i'm not mistaken i think it's considered a hybrid amp and not a true tube amp? i might be wrong there. i just personally dont like the way it sounds, i get the feeling it might be great for blues or something but not what i want.

i want that sound homeboy has in that video to begin my journey on. is there an amp that i could get that kinda sound out of without having to buy an amp/cab combo? i would go to some music stores this weekend but i am ashamed to plug into anything in front of someone so that all i can play is slow ride or rock you like a hurricane, lol. waaaay to embarassing