Fmaj | Amaj | BbMaj | Dbmaj Cmaj |

I cant figure it out, the obvious thing to say is that its in F major but the A maj should be minor, the Db doesnt work and I dont know if there is/are key changes, what key it changes to or when?

I just want to find out what makes this chord progression sound so amazing.

Any help appreciated.
its not in any key as far as i can tell, where'd you get this from? i would guess its just major chords rooted in Fmaj (F>A) then Bbmin (Bb>Db>C) even though the chord qualities conflict with this but i dont think the writer was worried about it.
The scale has these notes:
Ab A Bb C Db D E F G
I don't think there's any nine-tone scales that fit that progression, but you can always make a scale and just have some chords slightly out of key.
Its from one of the boys by katy perry (just the chords sound nice)

I didnt know how or why this works
Quote by jdmarsh2005

I just looked the the song, and I have absolutely no idea where you're getting those chords. The chords in the song are completely different.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I have a power tab of the song but i dont think its on here. I cant remember where i got it from
Quote by jdmarsh2005

its a revers polarity if im not mistaken
Fmaj | Amaj | BbMaj | Dbmaj Cmaj |

F-G-A-bB-C-D-E-F
I ii ii IV V vi vii*I
| |
II VI
|
bVI

this is something "The Pillows" do alot and also "the Beatles" \

but yeah this is still kinda strange cause i guess our ears are use to listening to a progression and then hearing a Major turn into a Minor rather then the opposite
a Minor turning in to a Major

seriously

Example this in the Key F Major when playing these chords do that standard Beatles rhythm or just strum out any rhythm it

F-Am-C-Dm-F-Fm-C
I iii V vi I i V

did you hear how it resolved back to F and then that F dropped to a Minor pretty nice right
for some reason the Human Ear Prefers the sounds of a Major then Dropped to a Minor

now lets try the same thing but the Opposite

this is in the key of F Minor

Fm-A-Cm-D-Fm-F-Cm
i III v VI i I v

sounds strange right? just it sounds strange to hear Major to Minor

anyway thats the Basics of Revers Polarity

it gets a little deeper
Last edited by Phrygian_12 at Dec 12, 2008,
If those are indeed the chords, it's in F.

The A maj would be a V of VI (D) but instead resolves to the IV (Bb)

And the Db is simply borrowed form the parallel minor (F minor)

Generally speaking you can switch most minor chords to major chords and it can be justified theoretically one way or another.
Death and the Maiden - Guitars playing String Quartets

Website Myspace