I'm looking to purchase a new bass for under $1000(most likely within the $500-700$ range) that is appealing both visually and tonally. I've been playing on an Austin P-bass for quite a while, so I think it's time for an upgrade :l.

In terms of music, my band and I are slowly leaning towards metal, so I'll most likely be looking for something that can belt out some solid low tones and that handles mild distortion relatively well.

Current Bass:

After doing some quick searches on the internet, I came across two basses that were appealing to me, and was wondering if I could get some opinions on them in terms of playability, etc.

I haven't found any Mockingbird Basses any any local retailers, but was wondering if it's a reliable Bass that sounds solid and is easy to play.

I've tried out several basses from the Array series at a music store nearby, and they seem quite lightweight and playable. I'm leaning more towards the Traben Array, but was wondering if I could get some second opinions.

Also, feel free to throw in some suggestions on other basses you may find solid within the $1000 price limit.
Get the mockingbird. its a solid bass
plays above average, solid neck.
tone is warm as well.
but **** does it look good!!!!
I would go with that Traben, tis a very nice bass.

BC Rich's leave much to be desired.

I would also look at Ibanez, Warwick and Spector as well.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Dec 12, 2008,
Go for the traben, i ever so nearly bought one, theyre nice
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by lorrythebassguy
Go for the traben, i ever so nearly bought one, theyre nice

What held you back? :l
Quote by Captain Insano
I would go with that Traben, tis a very nice bass.

BC Rich's leave much to be desired.

I would also look at Ibanez, Warwick and Spector as well.

this, but add Schecter.

though if you like low with a mild distortion, a Fender jazz may be worth listening to with an in store distortion on it, I've always liked how it handles those distorted lows.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Look into warwick and fender. Warwick is very growly a well suited bass for metal. Fender is an amazing all rounder. it handles distortion amazingly(alos look into an overdrive pedal aswell). You might find a secong hand stingray. It has a really nice growl. Dont always go for metal looking bass's other basses do the job just aswell if not better.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Dont always go for metal looking bass's other basses do the job just aswell if not better.

I agree completely.

I think schecter would be a good choice. A new/used schecter stilleto studio would be the best, but if not go for the elite model.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I actually started on ths same bass as that squier, but yeah get the Traben, much better made and designed. I have been saying to get a certain Traben myself.
He doesnt have a squier.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by yingyangthang
Out of those, the average person on this board would advise against the austin

That's his current bass. He wasn't suggesting that as his new one.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
The selection for a good bass is huge, but what ever you do, make sure to choose an american made bass. There is quality, in tone and design with every american made musical instrument. I think if you are willing to spend $1000, make every dollar count and get something that is worth the price.