Hi guys,

So I recently purchased the Dan Jacobs ESP, and it just got here today via mail. Problem is, since it got here, it's obviously detuned, and me being a floating bridge nub in general, I had a few questions the other Floyd threads didn't really answer, so I come humbly to you, because I don't wanna **** this sweet guitar up right after getting it.

So, here are my questions:
1) If it only needs fine tuning, those are the manually operated knobs coming perpendicular out of the bridge (aka perpendicular to the face of the guitar), right?
2)If I actually have to tune it (I know some touch will be involved), I know that I need to unlock the locking nut, but do I unlock the whole thing all at once, or just the portion over which strings need retuned, and finally
3) If I have to actually tune it, do I need to remove the little metal bar fastened above the nut with the two screws that seems to be doing something for the string tension?

Thanks in advance.
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
congrats on the DJ even though i dont like floyds to answer your questiokns 1 yes 2 just the portion you need to tune 3 what metal bar
1) If it only needs fine tuning, those are the manually operated knobs coming perpendicular out of the bridge (aka perpendicular to the face of the guitar), right?
> correct

2)If I actually have to tune it (I know some touch will be involved), I know that I need to unlock the locking nut, but do I unlock the whole thing all at once, or just the portion over which strings need retuned, and finally
> if its out of tune on all 6 strings then unlock all 3 nut blocks. if its only 1 string then just loosen that nut block.

3) If I have to actually tune it, do I need to remove the little metal bar fastened above the nut with the two screws that seems to be doing something for the string tension?
> no don't loosen that. that string retainer helps to keep the strings laying flat on the nut bed.
1) ya thats the fine tuning the only good thing about floyd in my opinion.

2) you might, most likely yes. if you havent blocked it like i did mine, youll need to do all of them and get the springs underneath at the right tension as well. its all balanced and if it came in a different tuning than you would use get a setup on it. if its setup right though you dont need to undo all the screws on the nut.

3) no. in fact, dont. that acts like a string tree on a fender keeping all the strings balanced over the nut cause my guess is the head has no angle. keep that in place.

if you have any q's i can tell you how to set it up. im not a pro at it but i can do it decently at home which saves money.
good luck with it man
Thanks alot guys. You answered my questions; luckily for me, it only needed fine tuning. Now, time to shred. Thanks again!
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah