Hey.

So I have $400 (I might be able to press it a bit but I'd REALLY rather not) for a new amp. I play metal (what a surprise!), and just a lot of high-gain stuff. Anyway, I live in the Bay Area (California) and have been looking at craigslist, but haven't really come across anything yet.

So far I've been thinking about the (all used, of course) XXX, B-52 AT-212, and Randall RG50TC. Heard too many Bugera horror stories to go near 'em. Vypyr looks nice, but again, there seem to be a lot of kinks (boot-up problems, high pitched whine, etc). Plus I'd prefer if it were tube.

Anything I'm missing? Suggestions on finding one of these beasts if craigslist fails me? Or am I spot on and really just have to keep looking?

Appreciate any help! : )
I love VOX products, the new line "XL" series are the Valvetronix line and have tube preamp and killer modeling and quality effects built in if you need em.

The XL series are Vox's new high gain, metal/hardrock amps...the 50watt is only ~$299 online.

Overall get excellent reviews for metal and hardrock...tremendous bang for the buck. I have the AD100VT which is the non XL and it is awesome, so I'm sure the high gain version will destroy.

Here is a link to one and the guy's comments on the right are very detailed and he is focused on playing metal...http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-VOX-AD50VTXL-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe
you could get a bugera combo, I rarely hear if the combos dying and they are good amps for the money
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
5150 would be awesome, no idea how much they are in America though. Otherwise I would say Valveking 112, and an OD pedal would probably be a good idea for metal. Possibly a Bugera but I've heard a fair few horror stories about them.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by Friendly Stoat
5150 would be awesome, no idea how much they are in America though. Otherwise I would say Valveking 112, and an OD pedal would probably be a good idea for metal. Possibly a Bugera but I've heard a fair few horror stories about them.

Head/Cab are about $800, not sure about the combo. I'd love to get one but I don't think it's within my realm quite yet. Would an OD pedal really push the VK into metal territory? I'd go for the Bugera if I wasn't so worried that I'd get a lemon and be screwed.

@ The Vox amp, I'll definitely have to take a look. I'd rather not order online, though (sorry to be a bit picky >_>.

I'd LOVE to grab any of the ones I listed, but I can't find 'em anywhere. I can definitely wait it out but I feel like one is never gonna show up. : P
Ah ok, fair enough then. I think look out for a used 5150, but yeah, a VK would probably do the job - I tried one without OD and it had a reasonably high amount of gain. Hell of a nice (and versatile) amp for the price. Depends on what kind of metal we're talking about though. Might be a good idea to try it out and see if it's heavy enough for your tastes.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Quote by rush.PR

So far I've been thinking about the (all used, of course) XXX, B-52 AT-212, and Randall RG50TC. Heard too many Bugera horror stories to go near 'em. Vypyr looks nice, but again, there seem to be a lot of kinks (boot-up problems, high pitched whine, etc). Plus I'd prefer if it were tube.

if your getting the message that tube amps are more reliable than modeling amps, thats terribly wrong. go down to guitar center, and try out all their tube amps, most of them arent gonna be working. then try all the other amps, and see the difference. a tube amp would be good, but keep in mind its not a necessity. as for which one to get, i say if you can find an XXX for 400, get it, even though they usually go for 500. its great for that metal crunch that isnt too over the top.

also, do you do small gigs? large gigs? jam with friends?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The better built tube amps are pretty reliable, from what I've read here. That's not to say the ones I'd be buying were the better built ones, though XD. Still, I've read some stuff about the Vypyr having issues, not that modeling amps in general are less reliable. It's merely a preference, I can do solid state.

Friends, and eventually small gigs (this amp should last long enough for me to get into that, and I fully intend on it, this is basically what I'm going to do with my life anyway.)