Ok I've been playing for about 3 years and I've developed this style that sounds really unique. I doubt it honestly is but it sounds good to me. I developed it by playing all the notes that a singer sings in certain songs and also by examining the whole pentatonic boxes and trying to find notes inbetween that harmonize. and I end up just playing lead in that scale or mode. For example I'll solo over a simple Em-C-G-D chord progression with the notes E- F#- G- A- B- C- D....Or for another example the song Crash Into Me - Dave Matthews Band I can solo with the notes B- Df- Ef- E- F#- Af- A.... Or even another example Soulshine - Government Mule I can play in the G-minor pentatonic scale which is what sounds best I believe, but I can also play the notes G- A- Bf- C- D- Ef- F...I'm 100% sure these are all major scales but I don't think you'd call them major scales in this instance...Idk...I think notes I use to solo over The Em-C-G-D progression is E Phrygian? i'm not really sure..Could some people help me clear this up so I can understand the theory behind the solos and phrasing that I play everyday? Thank you very very much.

GmanSwerve
The first scale is E natural minor (spelt E- F sharp - G - A - B - C -D), the second is B major (spelt B - C sharp - D sharp - E - F sharp - G sharp - A), the third is G natural minor (G - A - Bb - C - D - Eb - F). They're all completely standard scales (either the major scale, or a scale taken from the sixth degree of the equivalent major scale), nothing fancy. Chances are, if you're sounding unique it's down to your phrasing - much more important than using "new" or "interesting" notes. Keep it up if it sounds good.

T
The first scale is E natural minor (spelt E- F sharp - G - A - B - C -D), the second is B major (spelt B - C sharp - D sharp - E - F sharp - G sharp - A), the third is G natural minor (G - A - Bb - C - D - Eb - F). They're all completely standard scales (either the major scale, or a scale taken from the sixth degree of the equivalent major scale), nothing fancy. Chances are, if you're sounding unique it's down to your phrasing - much more important than using "new" or "interesting" notes. Keep it up if it sounds good.

Thank you very much for explaining that. I've made up a few progressive metal sounding riffs in these scales... Is that something metal can be composed of or am I just thinking it sounds metal and its not? I play alot of different genres from Phish to Weezer to Slightly Stupid to Zeppelin. I just don't understad alot of it I just feel it and play some the scales I just described or the same pattern just a few frets down to make it in the same key or whatever... I've never had a lesson other than what I've picked up from playing with other guitarists and what I've learned off of this site. lol. Could you explain the difference between say E natural minor and E harmonic minor and E melodic minor? and could I play those all over the same progression? I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I always welcome anything to make me a better guitar player.
The natural minor scale is probably the most comonly used scale in metal lead guitar...the harmonic minor is simply an alteration of the natural minor where the 7th note, or degree, of the natural minor scale is raised by a semitone. This alteration was introduced because composers felt it sounded nicer when ascending back to the root.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 12, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
The natural minor scale is probably the most comonly used scale in metal lead guitar...the harmonic minor is simply an alteration of the natural minor where the 6th note, or degree, of the natural minor scale is raised by a semitone. This alteration was introduced because composers felt it sounded nicer when ascending back to the root.

^ You meant seventh degree....... right?

Quote by GmanSwerve
OThe Em-C-G-D progression is E Phrygian? i'm not really sure..Could some people help me clear this up so I can understand the theory behind the solos and phrasing that I play everyday? Thank you very very much.

GmanSwerve

that is an E minor progression, not E phrygian.

I think what you need, is to learn basic diatonic harmony.

- learn how to harmonize the major and minor scales
- learn to analyze chord progressions so that you know what key they are in
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 12, 2008,
Quote by steven seagull
The natural minor scale is probably the most comonly used scale in metal lead guitar...the harmonic minor is simply an alteration of the natural minor where the 6th note, or degree, of the natural minor scale is raised by a semitone. This alteration was introduced because composers felt it sounded nicer when ascending back to the root.

You mean 7th i think

Its okay, Ive seen your posts and know your actually proskill. I imagine this is just a typo
Quote by GuitarMunky
^ You meant seventh degree....... right?

that is an E minor progression, not E phrygian.

I think what you need, is to learn basic diatonic harmony.

- learn how to harmonize the major and minor scales
- learn to analyze chord progressions so that you know what key they are in

I did, it's late, I've been drinking... o_O

I fix it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I did, it's late, I've been drinking... o_O

I fix it.

Yeah I knew it was a typo, I just thought I'd take the opportunity to mess with you. LOL
shred is gaudy music
lol, I deserved it...I'd probably have thought less of you if you hadn't pulled me up for it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Well where could I learn this on the web? Or could you explain it a litttle bit to me right now? I know there's a whole circle of fifth and circle of fourths that can prolly help clear it up right? I understand half steps and full steps and I know the notes that make up every major, minor, and 7th chord. I know time signature and beats and all that. I just don't know keys... I can't really grasp why we need keys in music? Idk..