Are there any fun ways (games etc.) that you can learn the notes of the fretboard so you can know all the fretboard and just go; "A string 3rd fret is a C" and not even think about it. Also is there a fun way for learning the notes of scales so you can instantly know the notes.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
I don't really know...I would just hit a string, for example, E string first fret four times and go..."F, F, F, F." Then move up to the second fret..."F sharp, F sharp, F sharp, F sharp." I would do that up on and down on each string until I knew each note.
E is for elephant, F is for fun, F# is for...fan of knives?

I tried.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
http://musictheory.net/trainers/html/id81_en.html

I guess just looking for patterns in the fretboard helps alot too.
You could also use certain notes as reference points for others.
For example, the first couple notes of your favorite song to play are
X, Y, and Z so therefore the ones around it are ...

Its pretty much all about patterns at first, then practicing until it's engraved into your mind.
Quote by Faux~Affliction
http://musictheory.net/trainers/html/id81_en.html

I guess just looking for patterns in the fretboard helps alot too.
You could also use certain notes as reference points for others.
For example, the first couple notes of your favorite song to play are
X, Y, and Z so therefore the ones around it are ...

Its pretty much all about patterns at first, then practicing until it's engraved into your mind.

thanks mate i can see how that would work.
cheers again
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by GoldenGuitar
I just play songs off advance sheet music in positions higher than five.

How would he know how to read music if he doesnt know all his note names?

To ts, the best way is to say notes out loud while you do scales. Or when your playing a slow song, really think about exactly what notes your playing

Really theres no fast track to learning all the note names, it just takes time and patience
There's actually an interactive game that I used to memorize the notes. I forget what it's called at the moment.

Edit: It's fretboard warrior. Check it out. It's easy to use and it really helps.
i know what the notes are called i just dont know where they are on the fretboard
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
I just use octaves. The notes on the e string I've always seemed to know. You learn those through osmosis, you know; watching instructional videos or just learning chords you move up the fretboard for some ballad or whatever works for you. After you do nail the e string, you just got 4 more to go and for those, I personally use octaves, scale shapes and arpeggios. Mostly, octaves, if you know what note a certain fret is on the low e string you can deduce where that note is going to be in d string and the b string just by visualizing octaves on the fretboard. And for the g string and a string use the bottom e string and count octaves descending. That's the best way I can explain it but please, don't try to sit down and learn the notes of the fretboard. It's not going to help. Whenever you're playing a scale or arpeggio just be aware of what notes you're playing. Do it consciously and sooner or later it will start to become and intuitive process and you'd have learnt notes eventually without actually sitting down and, I don't know, memorizing it. But to be honest, learning notes are useless. What you really need to know are intervals. If I play the third fret on the e string you should instantly be able visualize where a major 7th should be or a perfect 5th or an octave and that comes, I suppose from improvising a lot to backing tracks and using your ears ALL the time. Notice, in Joe Satriani's lessons, it's rarely ever a note he refers to, it's always an interval from a reference note ( most of the time the root). -shrug- That's my 2 cents, whatever works for you, my friend.

Good day.
A good little game i got off a satriani article was to set your metronome to around 60 and hit a fret on each of the beats and try to name the note, remember to hit random ones not just in sucession [that's too easy! :p] If you make a mistake or take too long, start all over again

If it's too fast / slow then change the tempo as desired. Happy hunting!
Quote by Zanon
A good little game i got off a satriani article was to set your metronome to around 60 and hit a fret on each of the beats and try to name the note, remember to hit random ones not just in sucession [that's too easy! :p] If you make a mistake or take too long, start all over again

If it's too fast / slow then change the tempo as desired. Happy hunting!
Damn, that's a really good idea. I might test myself!
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed