I currently play a Tanglewood bass that is hyper-light. Are there any other basses that are really light as I am thinking of getting a new 5-string, an Ibanez SR305 or something... advice please.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

hmm. usually, if the body is basswood, it's pretty light.

I believe the lightest bass I've played was an SRX300, it was disgusting (I don't like light basses, sue me) how light it was. sounded nice though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
hmm. usually, if the body is basswood, it's pretty light.

I believe the lightest bass I've played was an SRX300, it was disgusting (I don't like light basses, sue me) how light it was. sounded nice though.

Thanks. I believe that line is discontinued though (the 300. isn't it 350s now?). What about the SRs? They look like my most likely choice.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by anarkee
Ibanez basses, because of the woods they use, tend to be on the lighter side.

That's what I was thinking... How cheap can I find a SR305 new? Secondhand? In GBP plz.

Ibanez SR506BM
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by m4l666
Thanks. I believe that line is discontinued though (the 300. isn't it 350s now?). What about the SRs? They look like my most likely choice.

???
do I get candy now?
though the SRs are also very light.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

a buddy of mine had an aria that was light as a feather. idk if it came in a 5 string model.
I play bass!
Ya Im getting a 3.5" wide strap its going to do wonders.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
unless you have serious back problems and you're an old man (if this is the case i'll let you off), weight shouldn't matter. Personally i like a nice heavy bass, not sure why, i just do. But ibanez make some light basses, hence why i don't like them so much. Also the SRX series has a REALLY fat neck, particularly the 5 strings. I would really reccommend trying one before you commit to buying it. If fat necks aren't your thing then you'll hate it.

Also basswood body sucks.... Get an ibanez SR505 if you must.
Quote by budget bassist
unless you have serious back problems and you're an old man (if this is the case i'll let you off), weight shouldn't matter. Personally i like a nice heavy bass, not sure why, i just do. But ibanez make some light basses, hence why i don't like them so much. Also the SRX series has a REALLY fat neck, particularly the 5 strings. I would really reccommend trying one before you commit to buying it. If fat necks aren't your thing then you'll hate it.

Also basswood body sucks.... Get an ibanez SR505 if you must.

I guess that's why the MM Bongo and countless "shred" guitars use basswood then?

Nothing wrong with basswood in the slightest.
Basswood sucks the same way First Act sucks. For every... shredder guitar and Bongo using one piece of high-quality basswood, there are a thousand awful Chinese basses using several pieces of low-quality cuts. It's becoming the standard in cheap instrument bodies. 95% of First Act instruments suck, and 5% are top-shelf customs/production models. Same with basswood.

Anyway, if you... really need a light bass, which you don't, Yamaha's light bass with AIR (the name escapes me right now) looks and felt pretty cool.

EDIT: Wait, was "Ibanez" and "fat neck" used in the same sentence?!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Dec 12, 2008,
Quote by thefitz
Basswood sucks the same way First Act sucks. For every... shredder guitar and Bongo using one piece of high-quality basswood, there are a thousand awful Chinese basses using several pieces of low-quality cuts. It's becoming the standard in cheap instrument bodies. 95% of First Act instruments suck, and 5% are top-shelf customs/production models. Same with basswood.

Anyway, if you... really need a light bass, which you don't, Yamaha's light bass with AIR (the name escapes me right now) looks and felt pretty cool.

EDIT: Wait, was "Ibanez" and "fat neck" used in the same sentence?!

The Yamaha A2 felt plasticy when I played it, although it didn't sound too bad.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You could say the same with a lot of other woods though. There'll always be good and bad cuts.

EDIT: And that AIR bass is the RBX4-A2. I played it. Said "meh" a few times and scratched my belly.

Yes, but I'm not one who believes basswood is good to begin with. And many of the popular tonewoods aren't worth cutting badly, since most companies have standards, beit tonal or visual, for their instruments of a certain level. The fact that there's no trans-finish Bongo but a few trans-finish basswood basses is telling.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
TS, since you're in the UK; try the Cash Generator type shops, or even proper pawn shops. There's often a fair few Ibanez SR's and the odd BTB in these places, and they rarely ask more than £200 for them. It just takes a bit of patience to trawl thro' the dross!
Good basswood is good stuff. Bad basswood is bad, but at least it'll always be light. The Marlin Slammer I started out on weighed around 4 tons, because it was made of maple blockboard. The tone still gives me the shivers yet. I'd have chewed the hand of the person who offered me an equally bad bass at half the weight, off at the wrist.
Seems like eBay killed the pawn shop scene around here. Ibanez P-Bass clones for $325. Carvin 115's for $400. Round here they're not a deal; just a place to buy things. I wish we were still in the times when pawn shopping was worth it - like JPJ picking up his Framus electric upright for "a few pounds."
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Pawn shops are still a good deal, at least up here in Scotland. Partly because we're usually 200+ miles from the bulk of the eBay vendors, so the transport costs don't help; and partly because you actually get to play the thing first.
Around here it's that everybody knows what the prices and value of things are, and the price accordingly, plus they seemingly tack on an amount that would be about equal to the shipping charges. The only deals on used stuff are the ones you can snipe.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Deliriumbassist
EDIT: And that AIR bass is the RBX4-A2. I played it. Said "meh" a few times and scratched my belly.

oh I hated that bass.

the mids on it sound so terrible, just... ugh. plasticey almost. and the weight was unnatural...

that was the lightest bass now that I think of it. don't get it though it sounded truly awful.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by froggyman
yes, found that the SRX series has great necks...

Great necks? Sure. Nobody mentioned great necks. Someone said they had fat necks - i.e. thick and wide. And I've never, EVER heard that.
Quote by Cody_Grey102