I've got four twelve inch celestion relic 30's in my cab. each one says 60 watts, 16 ohm. I've got a 100 watt tube head. what should the Ohm output be set for on my head?

also, as a bonus question, I bought it used from my friend and he said that relic 30's are the exact same as Vintage 30's and it was because of a packaging mistake by celestion or something, can anyone vouch this? I believe him but he may have been lied to

Edit: just kidding, I googled and they're not exactly the same
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Dec 12, 2008,
This is basically a bump for ya because I can't remember the g0d d@mn formula but I know it does matter as to whether the speakers are wired in series or in parallel. I'm guessing parallel. Does your cab have a selector switch for mono or stereo and does your amp have a selector switch?

The one I remember was for a 8 ohm cab in parallel and it looked something like this:

(8*8)/(8+8)=64/16=4 ohms

but wait for someone who knows this stuff better than I. I think the answer is 16.
How are the speakers wired? Can you draw a picture making sure to label the positive and negative on the speakers?

There are only two possibilities though, that it's wired parallel like this:

If it is then it's a 4 ohm cab

It could also be series parallel like this:

Then it's a 16 ohm cab.

It could also be set up for stereo which would make it even more complicated.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Basically:

What are the jacks on the back labeled as? They should say either: 16ohm or 4ohm... or 8ohm stereo lol.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by Kevin Saale
How are the speakers wired? Can you draw a picture making sure to label the positive and negative on the speakers?

There are only two possibilities though, that it's wired parallel like this:

If it is then it's a 4 ohm cab

It could also be series parallel like this:

Then it's a 16 ohm cab.

It could also be set up for stereo which would make it even more complicated.

I was going to post something similar to this but Kevin beat me to it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

He never said. All he mentioned was that it has 4 speakers each 16ohm. Sounds like he has opened the cabinet before, but never mentioned the wiring diagram. And maybe asking him to look at the wiring isn't important.

'Cause... oh yeah maybe it's labeled on the rear jacks?

Be happy I have a heart not to report for spam.
Quote by sargasm
hey DB

I watched this guy's thread slip off the 1st page and then I bumped it for him before it hit the 3rd page and on off into neverland. Then, when it slipped again after I asked him about stereo/mono and what ohm selections he had I asked a friend to jump in and help. That friend was Kevin, who obviously took a lot of time to post those diagrams and solution.

So basically we are just waiting for the TS to come back and answer some questions.

Then you chimed in with 'lol' - as if it were funny somehow.

Report me all you want.

Later,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
hey DB

I watched this guy's thread slip off the 1st page and then I bumped it for him before it hit the 3rd page and on off into neverland. Then, when it slipped again after I asked him about stereo/mono and what ohm selections he had I asked a friend to jump in and help. That friend was Kevin, who obviously took a lot of time to post those diagrams and solution.

So basically we are just waiting for the TS to come back and answer some questions.

Then you chimed in with 'lol' - as if it were funny somehow.

Report me all you want.

Later,

Don't take yourself so seriously. I said "lol" after that post 'cause it was like saying: "Well your answer could be ___, or ___, or... ____, or... ____." had nothing to do with you and how apparently every post is directed at insulting you.

Your post was spam, and nearly flaming. Look what it ended up starting 'cause you had to be a smart ass.
Quote by sargasm
Kevin made a great post. As he pointed out, it depends on how the speakers are wired up. If you can provide that information, figuring out the cab's impedance will be no problem at all.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Lose the attitude, DB. They're helping here.
Thread's sort of on hold until the threadstarter comes back with more info. Most 4x12s are S/P, so it's probably 16 ohm.
hey sorry guys, i saw my thread dying and just went to a friends house lol. anyways, thanks a ton to kelvin for that diagram. It is exactly what i needed. I love you with three quarters of my heart. but there's approximately 25 screws in the back and idk if its worth seeing if it is parrallel or series. To my ears it sounds best with the AMP at 8 ohms... could this be a problem?

also to the sarcastic dumbass who thinks i can't read: There obviously wasn't a label on the input jacks and in context you can tell from my post that they are not the stock speakers so i'm assuming that could change things as i am a litterate speaker noob.

and yes to someone else, it does have a stereo and mono switch but we're assuming mono for the time being, though if you're not too busy i wouldn't mind knowing about the stereo too. wikipedia and google have articles that are all written more for electronics engineering more than plugging in amps, and i don't want to earn a BA in electrical Engineering today so i'll pass.

thanks a ton again guys.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Dec 13, 2008,
^Cool.

yeah, Kevin is the man!

With my limited knowledge all I can tell you is that you should really match the head and cab, so I think it would be worth it to pop open the back and verify. Maybe take some pics while you are at it and then repost. I think to Kevin's point it will either be 4 or 16.

you can also PM Kevin I'm sure he wouldn't mind, or ping me and I'll track Kevin down.

Yeah, like I said before, it's either 4 ohms or more likely 16 ohms. I assume that the stereo part has two jack? If so each side is 8 ohms since those two would have to be wired in parallel or the load would be 32 ohms (higher than any amp runs at).

I'm 99% sure it's 16ohms mono and 8 ohms each side stereo, but there is a the chance it's totally wired in parallel when mono which would make it 4ohms mono, but like Colin said most 4x12 are wired series parallel so that's unlikely. A quick picture would help us to quickly figure it out and save you from damaging your amp.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, like I said before, it's either 4 ohms or more likely 16 ohms. I assume that the stereo part has two jack? If so each side is 8 ohms since those two would have to be wired in parallel or the load would be 32 ohms (higher than any amp runs at).

I'm 99% sure it's 16ohms mono and 8 ohms each side stereo, but there is a the chance it's totally wired in parallel when mono which would make it 4ohms mono, but like Colin said most 4x12 are wired series parallel so that's unlikely. A quick picture would help us to quickly figure it out and save you from damaging your amp.

This. A 16ohm amp in mono can only hit either 16ohm's or 4ohm's. If it's stereo it's most commonly 8ohm's per side.

Oh and you act like someone asked you if the label on it says anything. But hey, be retarded and don't open up your cabinet to tell us how it's wired, that's the only way to tell and go ahead and kill your amp. What the **** do I care?

I'll love reading your "I need a new amp, 'cause I was too lazy to just open it up" thread.

Watch me get told to drop the attitude again.
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
This. A 16ohm amp in mono can only hit either 16ohm's or 4ohm's. If it's stereo it's most commonly 8ohm's per side.

Oh and you act like someone asked you if the label on it says anything. But hey, be retarded and don't open up your cabinet to tell us how it's wired, that's the only way to tell and go ahead and kill your amp. What the **** do I care?

I'll love reading your "I need a new amp, 'cause I was too lazy to just open it up" thread.

Dude, there's no reason to be a dick. Granted, LTdan got an attitude, but you pretty much called him an idiot by asking him what the jacks were labeled as, not to mention the amp not having stock speakers any labeling on them could be incorrect.

Also, running an 8ohm amp into a 16ohm cab won't hurt it. If the cab was 4 ohms the amp would probably have blown it's tube or the OT quite quickly.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Dude, there's no reason to be a dick. Granted, LTdan got an attitude, but you pretty much called him an idiot by asking him what the jacks were labeled as, not to mention the amp not having stock speakers any labeling on them could be incorrect.

Also, running an 8ohm amp into a 16ohm cab won't hurt it. If the cab was 4 ohms the amp would probably have blown it's tube or the OT quite quickly.

Case in point. I asked an innocent question, got smacked with all sorts of rude attacks, then got told to cool down! I don't remember reading that the speakers in it aren't stock; so if you could show me that I'd be much grateful.

I've heard with tube amps you should *always* match impedance. With solid state you can get away fudging the numbers in the safe zone.
Quote by sargasm
It was in his second post, just noticed that.

Also, you can mismatch if the cab is higher,(IE 4 into 8 8 into 16, not 4 into 16) but it isn't suggested and generally is harder on the amp.
Quote by Kevin Saale
It was in his second post, just noticed that.

Also, you can mismatch if the cab is higher,(IE 4 into 8 8 into 16, not 4 into 16) but it isn't suggested and generally is harder on the amp.

Yes I know you can mismatch up. But at the same time around here you see a lot of "For tube amps it's better to just match the impedance exactly they're more sensitive than solid-state."
Quote by sargasm
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Dec 13, 2008,
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
And yes I know you can match up. But at the same time around here you see a lot of "For tube amps it's better to just match the impedance exactly they're more sensitive than solid-state."

Isn't that what my post says?