Hey guys, my band and I are just starting to look into recording, and i have a ton of questions. I've basically narrowed it down to I want to record using a laptop, but that's about all I've got so far. I saw on guitarcenter.com that theres a digidesign Mbox that's not ridicuously expensive. I have a mixer and a couple mic's so thats not a problem. Any help would be appreciated!
well, in all honesty you prolly won't use the mixer for anything but ehh... its still good to have I guess.

basically all you really need to get started is an interface and software. Check number of inputs that the interface has and go for usb2.0 or firewire (<this is better). Software wise you will be fine with the startup software that prolly comes with any given interface.

If you have more specific questions let us know.

-Ryan
I wouldn't go with the mBox though, personally. It's way overpriced for what it is in my opinion. What is your budget? And what mics do you have, because they are very important.
There is poetry in despair.
well my budget would be 500 or less. I have an sm58 and a shure wireless mic, but i could get more. Mainly I'm just trying to figure out what interface i should get. Could you give me some suggestions on what would be a good interface?
I have a toneport ux2... I don't honestly know how it compares to other interfaces (in quality or price), but i'd say it was fairly good.
Fender Strat Build
Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster MEX
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
oh i also forgot to mention that the laptop I'll be using is running vista, because apparently pro tools isn't supported by vista.