so the other day i won a bid on ebay for a crate v18 112, it just came yesterday night ive been playing with ti all day but i got some questions.

First off are you supposed to replace the stock tubes, cause i noticed when i put my ds-1 on i start getting wierd noises, dunno if its tube related or not. Also when i used reverb at maybe half way i get alot of static, tube related or not i dont know.

Also on my amp specifically i dont have a volume knob, but i have a gain and level knob, the gain when put up is supposed to give u more overdrive but in fact gives me volume and the level really doesnt do much. i dont get it at all.
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
You are not getting it man... theres pre amp and power amp. And it matters with tube amps. If you want over drive turn your gain knob all the way up and your level all the way down... then slowly turn the level up to get what volume you want. or do the opposite for another sound... You can replace the stock tubes if you want but if they are new you probably don't need to. Tube amps are more noisy and there is usually amp hum that's why I never use a tube amp without a noise gate. But if your ds 1 is giving it a lot of gain with the gain on your amp already then you are going to get those noises unless you have a noise gate in front of the amp. But if you've got your level up... and then you turn your gain up it'll give you more volume like you said but you won't have the overdrive that way.
Personally I find the DS-1 sounds really ****ty with a tube amp. You might be better off looking for a cheap OD Pedal.
you dont use a distortion pedal with a tube amp
unless your not gettng enough distortion out of it already, but if thats the case then dont use a crappy distortion pedal, use a digitech valve overdrive hardwire series.
Or if you want cheaper, a bad monkey
Quote by mindstealer
Personally I find the DS-1 sounds really ****ty with a tube amp. You might be better off looking for a cheap OD Pedal.

yeah i had a ds-1 for awhile didnt really use it too much i was hoping itd come in handy when i got my tube amp but now i realize it doesnt sound to good, whats a good overdrive pedal thatll sound good with tube?
three years
My Gear:
Esp Ec-1000 trans blue
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yamaha F310
Crate V18
metal muff with top boast
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt Amp
Ernie Ball Slinkys
Monster cable
Jazz III Picks
the ds-1 sucks with a tube amp...i used one with my blues jr. and it was a ****show of crazy noises haha...my tubescreamer and big muff only make a little noise, thats just goes along with a tube amp
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
I have a Fender Twin Reverb 65 RI, and maybe it's because it's not my only distortion, but I find the DS-1 to be useful sometimes -- I also have a TS9, so when I want a crunchy sound, I use the DS-1, and for any kind of solo/lead work that requires clarity, I use the TS9.
The reverb sounds like **** on all the V-18's. Only way to fix that is a new reverb tank. I get Metallica and Megadeth 80's tone out of my V-18 with a bad monkey overdrive. As for everything else the guys have already answered you. Learn how to use that volume and gain knob and you'll be fine. Get you a boost or overdrive pedal.