Hey I have been having trouble taking certain runs from songs and distinguishing which mode they are played in. I have a run from this Megadeth song, Tornado of Souls and I was wondering if someone could explain the music theory around this run. Hopefully I will catch on. The song is in E standard of course. Its almost as if its just a B Minor Penatonic with some spice? I'm not sure because of them extra notes in there which are flats/sharps. I am trying to understand this addition of notes to a scale so I can make my on runs as good as this.

Riff 2
e|-----------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------7-|
D|-------------------------7---9p7---|
A|-----------7h8p7---7-8h9---9-------|
E|-7--7-9-10------10-----------------|

G|-----------------------------------|
A|-----------7h8p7---7-8h9---9-----9-|

G|---------------------------------7-|
A|-----------7h8p7---7-8h9---9-------|

e|--------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------|
D|-/7----5------------------------|
A|-/5----3----7h8p7-5h7p5-4h5p4-3-|
E|--------------------------------|
Last edited by rebel624 at Dec 12, 2008,
It's just a minor scale with an added b5. Very common.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
minor blues. scale. you add a b5 to the scale. to make it major blues, you add a b3.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Quote by Shadow_Hawk
to make it major blues, you add a b3.
No you don't.

Tornado of Souls is in the key of Bm. It makes large use of the B natural minor scale and B Blues scale, but borrows a few tones from the B Phrygian (C5) and B Dorian (G#s in the solo) scales, and perhaps a few other chromatic tones; I can't remember.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
No you don't.

Tornado of Souls is in the key of Bm. It makes large use of the B natural minor scale and B Blues scale, but borrows a few tones from the B Phrygian (C5) and B Dorian (G#s in the solo) scales, and perhaps a few other chromatic tones; I can't remember.

wow thats a good answer. Kind im looking for You really know your stuff.
unbelievable I just let a girl tell me what to do. Oh well so now that I'm not double posting would you like to explain or would you rather me PM you?
Quote by rebel624
unbelievable I just let a girl tell me what to do.
Get used to it. You'll be smarter and in higher positions of power than many women (I'm 21 and have a concealed weapons carry permit in PA...I'm hardly a girl) and there will be plenty of women smarter than you and in higher positions of power than you.

Quote by rebel624
Oh well so now that I'm not double posting would you like to explain or would you rather me PM you?
The whole point of not double-posting and PMing me was to avoid a useless post such as this that could be merged with your original post asking me the question. After that, you would PM me and let me know that it was now time for me to respond. I'm in the early stages of sleep deprevation so I'm feeling happy (that's a weird but true concept), and thus will answer your question, sort of.

This is fairly chaotic if you don't know what you're looking for, but a great resource when you do. Post #4 by Elv contains several links about this subject that will assuredly explain this better than I can right now. Please read them all and try to synthesize the information and figure things out on your own. You will of course have a few questions, but do be specific when you ask them. "I don't get it," doesn't give me anything with which I can work. However, if you quote two sentences and ask me to rephrase or clarify something or can formulate a specific question, then I can give a useful answer. This applies to the other members of the forum as well; it isn't a rule we made; it's just basic teaching/learning ideas.

I will note that the links are unlikely to deal with much chromaticism. When a song has a lot of chromatic tones, it becomes an issue of experience. Once you get the basics down, I'll go through some examples with chromatic tones and then give you some more difficult pieces as exercises and explain why your mistakes are wrong as you will inevitably make a few errors in the beginning.