the strings will still be thicker. so you will have to adjust in some way.

if you're making a jump from 9s to 13s, i would let a pro do it. i think it's likely that some sort of adjustment will have to be made. ask a guitar tech first.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Do you really need to tune down... lol
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Quote by stratdud39
k i'll ask my local guitar tech, and yeah i need to tune down cuz i dont want to get authritice .
but thicker strings give better tone, which is why i want to do this.

you won't get arthritis from playing guitar...... i don't think

if it's just better tone you want, 11s will do just fine. for the treble strings, the quality doesnt really change when you go higher than 11s.

i would advise you to up your gauge gradually - one gauge at a time - so you can get used to it. also, if you use massively hwavy strings, they may not fit in the nut slots.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
you won't get arthritis from playing guitar...... i don't think

if it's just better tone you want, 11s will do just fine. for the treble strings, the quality doesnt really change when you go higher than 11s.

i would advise you to up your gauge gradually - one gauge at a time - so you can get used to it. also, if you use massively hwavy strings, they may not fit in the nut slots.

okay yeah im definitely moving up at least one guage....13s were probably too extreme.
and yeah you can, i know people who've got it, for this reason(strings too heavy).
So then i guess i'll go to my original plan with 11s, so i'll ask a guitar tech whether i'll have to adjust if i tune down a half/whole step.
Quote by stratdud39
k i'll ask my local guitar tech, and yeah i need to tune down cuz i dont want to get authritice .
but thicker strings give better tone, which is why i want to do this.

when you downtune strings, the tone gets worse. so thicker strings tuned down is gonna feel and sound just like regular strings in standard tuning, only its gonna be low as hell. tuning down three and a half steps would put you korn's tuning, which is pretty ridiculous, so just think about that.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I went from 9's to 12's.... all I had to adjust was a 1/4 turn on the truss rod, and then a bridge height adjustment to compensate for the low strings being much thicker.....

I hear you on thicker strings giving better tone. Unfortunately though, tuning down 3 steps will NOT sound like E...it will definitely sound like C... and you will notice it right away. It will sound thicker, heavier, and to be honest... a lot more....rock/metal ish.....