So, I'm applying for college and I'm applying for a music scholarship aswell. They require an audition, like normal. Their requirements for the audition are as follows: "Performing candidates are required to perform two contrasting selections. The two pieces must be of different periods and styles and from established classical, jazz, or musical theatre repertoire." What exactly does that mean? I was thinking though that maybe I could play "Dee by Randy Rhoads" but maybe not I don't know. Any thoughts on what I should play?
well try playign soemthign from to of the catagories, play soem jazz and som ething else.ty motny python spamalopt songs, they ay like that. but it is quite self explanatory, try reading it again carefully (no im not trying to be patronising) but good luck dude, unlucky u have to play clasical
Choose one slow song to express your musicality, and the other should be a fast song with a lot of notes to demonstrate technical ability. Id say choose two classical standards

This is how most auditions are done btw, one musical piece, one technical, then some sight reading, and probably 2 or 3 scales
^musicality and technique do not form a dichotomy. But you are mostly correct in your interpretation of contrasting pieces: One fast, one slow.

You're probably expected to have a chosen repertoire, so choose one (jazz / classical).

Dee is not adequate but if it is you'll want to reconsider your choice of university.

Choose pieces that you can play / will be able to play by the time of audition. Play well. I recommend finding a teacher that's experienced with audition prep and knows the system well (preferably has taught or teaches at a good university and knows it from that side)
i would say go for simple jazz (unless you have really good classical technique), learn one slow song and one fast song and if your not experienced with the genre pick two easy songs. for a fast selection, ring dem bells by ellington or tune up by miles davis are too difficult to learn and very up tempo. For a slower selection Id recommend Blue in Green by Miles Davis (modal and very melodic) or a ballad from the musical theatre repetoire, as most jazz ballads have rather difficult chord changes. If your experienced with the jazz idiom then just consult your teacher and pick two tunes you know and like. They are going want to see musicality (sense of melody, phrasing and ability to play changes) and probobly technique (ability to play quickly and accuratley, often demonstrated in the faster selection and in the scale selection). They are also probobly going to want to hear you comp (play chords), where you'll have to keep good time, add rhythmic interest and demonstrate knowledge of your instrument/the idiom your playing (keep good quarter notes for swing, know a few bossa clave patterns, a funk groove or two, know how to accentuate the melody in a ballad or bop piece--listen to guitarist for the swing bossa and funk and piano players for ballads and bop, cool and modern stuff.)
as for the song you mentioned it is nice, and it is classical sounding, but they are probobly going to want to hear something from the standard repetoire of western common practice music, not a classical piece by a rock musician--yes it is bull, but what can you do, its the academics who set the standards.
Quote by Nick_
^musicality and technique do not form a dichotomy. But you are mostly correct in your interpretation of contrasting pieces: One fast, one slow.

You're probably expected to have a chosen repertoire, so choose one (jazz / classical).

Dee is not adequate but if it is you'll want to reconsider your choice of university.

Choose pieces that you can play / will be able to play by the time of audition. Play well. I recommend finding a teacher that's experienced with audition prep and knows the system well (preferably has taught or teaches at a good university and knows it from that side)

35 out of the 43 auditions Ive taken have said expressly in the instructions to "have two pieces prepared, one to demonstrate technical ability, and one to demonstrate overall musicianship. Also be prepared for sight reading, and be prepared to play and major or minor scale."

Reading this off my EYSO audition sheet btw
I wasn't trying to disagree or attack, but the way I see it:

Everything you play at an audition should be musical, and within your technique.

I know that's what is said but I feel that the idea of the two being exclusive should never be allowed into our heads.

You took 43 auditions? That must have been tough. Why so many?
Carcassi-Sor-Giuliani contrast Villa lobos- Albeniz - Brower
<\\\SuBLiME\\\> ~ ~ ~~

This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him on his way to world domination ...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dee is not adequate, it is not established classical repertoire.
12 fret fury