I'm looking into getting a trombone, but I'm not really sure which model I should get.
I was thinking about purchasing a Yamaha YSL-354, because I can get one for about $500 ($954 at all websites), but I'm not sure if I should get an intermediate or professional model.

I can play trumpet, and also piano so playing brass and reading bass clef is no problem.

Any recommendations on what model I should get?
I would suggest starting out on a basic model without a trigger, then if you get serious you can upgrade to a trigger model later. That Yamaha looks similar what I started out on, and if you can get it for $500 that sounds look a pretty damn good deal to me.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
haha tromboner
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Yeah, I've got a Yamaha. It's a pretty reliable brand, go for it.
Quote by Rengori
It's not like the mods ever get mad at you for going around fucking swear filter.
all the yamaha trombones ive played are good. king makes good 'bones too. other brands you might want to look into are bach and besson.

as for model, i'd get a medium size bore w/ f attachment starting out. once you get used to playing more, you can move up to a larger bore. you wont really need the F attachment until you get into more technical music, but it's nice to have it there, so when you do, you wont have to upgrade.
-Christian?
Oh yeah, I'd rather not spend more than $700.
And I'll probably march trombone too.
Over half of our low brass is graduating this year.
It depends on what you plan on doing with it. You need to like the sound, and you get what you pay for, like always. You might consider geting one with an F-switch valve, and playing trumpet you might consider a bass trombone. There is also a soprano trombone. I think as a trumpet player you would really like that.

(I used to be really big into trombone)
Quote by Limabean231

If you're marching, the Yamaha would work pretty well. The lighter the trombone, the less your shoulders are going to hate you.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
First i'd try and see if anyone in your family or close friends has an extra one or one they don't use but if not any trombone with a good slide will work... I personally never had to buy a trombone until 4 years into playing and by that point i was ready for a very nice one so i don't know all that much about cost and models of most trombones in that price range. As for the f attachment i always had and have alway loved it to the point that even in marching band I used one because i wasn't used to using 6th or 7th positions on the slide unless i was playing notes far below the staff.

A second thought is i wouldn't recommend playing trumpet and trombone in close proximity of times due to the complications from different mouth piece sizes etc.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Quote by Limabean231

normally I'd say start out with a standard tenor trombone (no attachment). that's what I did. I rented one from my college for a year and a half then bought my own with an f attachment. since you're going to be marching, though, get an attachment if you can in your budget. I marched trombone my last 2yrs in college and I found it easier while marching to not have to go out to 6th and 7th position as much. people obviously do march with no attachment (or pea shooter, as I've heard it called. lol) and do just fine, but if you can make it easier on yourself, then why not?

good point about playing both trumpet and trombone, BAoxymoron. it's a completely different family of instruments, but I played flute before I picked up trombone. I found that after making trombone my primary instrument it wrecked my ability to play higher notes on flute.
Last edited by uctlaum01 at Dec 12, 2008,
Yeah I just bought a Blessing Trombone with the F attachment. The original price was $1500 and i got it for $750 off a high school teacher that never used it. It's a beauty. If you're marching I do recomend a cheap Yamaha though. They're pretty light and they can take a beating. Which is something you need when you're marching. The sound isn't too bad either.
If you can try to get one from somebody you know or a business right around. Make sure you check to see if the slide is sticking or if the tuning piece can come out. Trombone is fun IMO. Start with a second hand one or if you are buying one new buy from a starter to an intermediate model. There could be a chance that you might not like playing it in the near future, I didn't like it at first.