So, i'm finally searching for a new amp. My preferences are:

3 channels (clean, gain, lead), a nice LEAD sound (cause most amps have decent rhythm sounds anyway), effects loop, SEPARATE channel EQs (no ENGL stuff)

currently, there are two nice amps at our local store: the Peavey Triple XXX head, and the Marshall TSL602 combo. Both are USED!!
as far as i know, the Triple XXX was discontinued, at least it's not availible at European web stores anymore.

I have already played both amps, and i like the Triple XXX much more, especially because of it's Lead tone (to be honest, i just can't get anything great out of any Marshall, but other guitarists can, so maybe it's just me)

Now the money - Peavey - 1100€ (new 1600€ i think), Marshall - 850€ (New - 1200&euro

So the Marshall is really a lot cheaper, as i would have to also buy a cab for the Peavey.
However, it does have 3 channels, and that's the most important thing for me in this case.

What do you think, would it be more reasonable to buy the Marshall and some nice overdrive pedal, to get a good Lead tone out of it, or spend more money on the XXX?

Btw, i play Progressive Thrash Metal, but i also want nice cleans, thus the Marshall might suit the old school sound more.

There aren't many choices left in the 3-channel area in this price range - maybe some Laneys, but i've never played one. And no i don't want a Bugera!

Sry, that i write so much...
Eat this, today's music-lovers!
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
Last edited by DeathOn2Legs at Dec 12, 2008,
i personally prefer the xxx, i've herd better cleans but if you're good at eq'ing then you can get a pretty good clean tone, rhythm and lead are great with thrash and similar stuff
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
but how would a distortion pedal affect the Marshall? i'm looking for a more compressed hi-gain Van Halen-like lead tone, you know what i mean? like this awesome tone when he starts tapping etc. NOT that scooped scratchy sound that i normally get out of most marshalls, unless i play them at 6...
Quote by rabidguitarist
A lot of music isn't really going anywhere. There are tons of fans in here going 'oh my god, <> is evolving so much and <> is so shit lol!' but tons of it is just recycled material and tired ideas.
Jesus Christ that is expensive for a XXX. I would personally buy one on American ebay for like 400 euros or so and just ship it over, I couldnt image the shipping being over 200-300 euros from America to Germany.
Gear:
Modded Steinberger Spirit (white) (SD-AH/EMG Select)
Modded Steinberger GP-2R (white) (EMG81/60)
Peavey XXL head
Hughes and Kettner Cream Machine
Hughes and Kettner Blues Master
Quote by mcrfobtai
XXX. The TSL is wayyyy muddy

actually i'd say both of the amps' main problem is muddiness. but the TSL is gonna get muddy even on lower gain settings, so XXX. i'm not sure what the best cheap cabs are in where you live, so do some research and get a 2x12
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by hcsn2008
You want eddie van halen tone..... can't find a used 5150 around there?

yea, that would be a nice option, but i really need 3 separate channels!
thank you guys so far, seems like i'll have to spend more money (or look on american ebay)
Quote by rabidguitarist
Id say the XXX. Just because I have a TSL and the lead channel can get a bit muddy, and theres something i cant pick but i dont like about the tone.

EDIT: Or see if you can find one of the JCM900 6100's, the 30th anniversary one. They're 3 channel and (IMO) better than a TSL
Quote by DeathOn2Legs
yea, that would be a nice option, but i really need 3 separate channels!
thank you guys so far, seems like i'll have to spend more money (or look on american ebay)

Well the 51502 or 6505+ does have 3 channels basically. But only 2 eq's. You can switch it with footswitch to clean, crunch, or lead. But the crunch and clean share the same eq.