I picked up a new Gretsch Projet a few days ago that had a bad case of fret buzz on the E, A and D strings. To get rid of it I had to adjust the action so high I felt like I was playing a classical. So last night I put on a set of flatwound D'Addario Chromes .11-.50 which cured the buzz completely. I have the bridge down almost as far as it will go and still zero buzz. The only problem is the .11's hurt my fingers, and I can't seem to do hammer-ons or pull-offs anymore. The notes just don't sound. I would like to try .10's, but I'm afraid I would get the buzzing back. The original strings were roundwounds, so I don't know if the higher gauge or the switch to flatwound is what cured the buzz. Any ideas? Thanks
If you're tuning to the same pitch, then the higher string tension is what cured your buzzing issue. You neck needed less tension on the truss rod for the '009.

If you like the tone of your '011 then just build strength. Play with it until you can pull all the things you could do with the .009.

Pick up an acoustic too... in addition to open you new horizons playing wise, the heavier strings will make playing 11's easy on the electric.

Try the 10's anyway... and look that your neck has proper bend.
Noob Grade Gear...
Ibanez GRX20 GFS Pups, Digitech RP3, Vox Satchurator, Behringer DD400 Delay, Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ, Behringer GMX110
Total lack of skills and not into broot4Lz anymore
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
it takes time for your fingers to adjust and build up strength, no worries.

did you go strait from .09s to .11s?

Yes, assuming that Gretsch put .09's on at the factory. Would the fact that they're flat rather than round wound have an effect on fret buzz? Or would the jump in gauge alone have cured it? I'm thinking about dropping down to .10's in the Chromes to see if they're still buzzfree.
Quote by steve108819
Yes, assuming that Gretsch put .09's on at the factory. Would the fact that they're flat rather than round wound have an effect on fret buzz? Or would the jump in gauge alone have cured it? I'm thinking about dropping down to .10's in the Chromes to see if they're still buzzfree.

yeah just go to 10s...and you do no you were supposed to adjust your trust rod right?
if you didnt before, dont do it now because your dropping down anyways.
Quote by Warpo
If you're tuning to the same pitch, then the higher string tension is what cured your buzzing issue. You neck needed less tension on the truss rod for the '009.

If you like the tone of your '011 then just build strength. Play with it until you can pull all the things you could do with the .009.

Pick up an acoustic too... in addition to open you new horizons playing wise, the heavier strings will make playing 11's easy on the electric.

Try the 10's anyway... and look that your neck has proper bend.

I was typing my last post while you were posting this. Thanks for the advice. I'll mess around this weekend with the .11's. If I still hate them I'll probably swap out for .10's next week.