im thinking about asking my parents for a Noise Suppressor Pedal and a Compression Sustain Pedal for Christmas but i dont think im gonna have time to try either of them out anywhere between now and Christmas.

so my questions?

are these the kind of pedals that absolutely need to be tried out or can i get away with just asking for them and hoping they will work?

what are some recommendations for both?
honestly, i wouldn't really bother too much with either of those pedals..

but, people usually rave other the ISP decimator around here, i find it sucks a bit of tone. i'd rather the rack from (Decimator Pro Rack G), but if that's not an option, I'd go with a Rocktron Hush or Boss NS-2.

People also usually like the MXR Dynacomp for a compressor.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
they're not very useful IMO..

If you EQ your amp properly you shouldn't have too much of an issue with feedback. I personally love feedback so there's no way in hell I'd ever want a noise gate.

And a compressor is really only useful for tapping.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
ok makes sense..
ill take that into consideration thanx a lot
you should just trade one of your other pedals in for something like not-rape
Noise Suppressors are necessary for certain kinds of sounds. Some people incorporate feedback into their tone. Compressors are helpful for increasing sustain of notes. But xwearesinking is right in that you shouldn't get a pedal just to have it. If you're getting unwanted noises from your amp, you should attempt other remedies (EQ, input level vs. output level adjustments, wiping dust/dirt/grime off the inside, etc.) before resorting to a noise suppressor.

You can get a pretty good idea of the differences between pedals by listening to sound clips.

Take a look at the EHX Soul Preacher for a cheap compressor.
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
I have an iSP Decimator, and it's very nice, but I've found I no longer need it since I got a tube amp.