Yeah as the title says, I got a Marshall JCM 800 given to me for free. It's pretty old I think from the mid 80's. Anyway I don't know much about amps, but on the back it says the last time the tubes were replaced was in 87.

Anyway... when I plug in it sounds broken. Is this cause I need to replace the tubes???????? If so is there a specific model or type???
It is probably because you need to replace the tubes. Read the tube sticky at the top, it knows far more about the types of tubes then I do.
Quote by ~Max~
Yeah as the title says, I got a Marshall JCM 800 given to me for free. It's pretty old I think from the mid 80's. Anyway I don't know much about amps, but on the back it says the last time the tubes were replaced was in 87.

Anyway... when I plug in it sounds broken. Is this cause I need to replace the tubes???????? If so is there a specific model or type???

PICS???
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Congratulations on the amp, it will most probably be one of two things

1.Tubes
2.Fuse

Get a new set of power and pre-amp tubes flick on standby for 10 mins > power

If it doesn't work the next step is fuses
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
definitely need to replace the tubes if their that old
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Not if they haven't been played :P
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Ok I just checked the back again and it says the last tubes in were '6CA7 = EL44' , they were replaced 13/10/87
I'm thinking I might just take it down to the music shop and see what they say... I hope it will work eventually.
AHHHHHH.

Double whammy.

New amp, but its broken.

Anyways congrats and hope you fix the problem.

Hopefully its just the tubes.
This is what pics or it didnt happen was made for...
Quote by Primus2112
I just asked a guestion regarding a music store myth and my thread turns into a discussion about titfucking bagged milk.

Find a decent amp tech and have him do a whole run though on the amp and check everything. At best you may have to spend a few hundred bucks, but then you'll have a working JCM 800 for dirt cheap.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I would:
-replace the fuse
-clean out all pots and switches
-check all soldering joints
-make sure there are no visibly burnt out components, leaking/bulging caps
-replace the tubes
-use a variac to turn it on, then properly adjust the bias.
Don't whine that its broken. That chassis inside that amp is one of the few amp heads that can actually have the title of "legendary".

Pay the 200 bucks to have it fixed. Regardless you can get them on ebay for like 700 bucks so you got a steal my friend.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Is there a story on how you got a free amp, or did just some random guy on the street who happened to be carrying a JCM800 look at you and think, "This guy looks like he needs an amp!"
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals