Page 1 of 2
My brother told my dad he wants a bass for christmas, since he didn't specify we have been trying to figure out a good bass to buy.

here are a few ive thought of so far

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified--70s-Jazz-Bass-103726584-i1166457.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-Bass-100388504-i1150015.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-Les-Paul-Special-Bass-Guitar-103997128-i1169266.gc

My brother plays a wide variety of music, mostly punk, 80s music, and some metal(but I want no suggestions that only work for metal). I will also be using this bass a little bit around the house myself and I wanted to make sure my brother got a decent bass.

Which of the above is the best for the price range?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please try to keep them under $350, we have to get him an amp too.

I have no idea of what amp to get, but he doesn't need anything too loud, a 10 watt amp would be fine. Suggest a good one for the price range.

Altogether no more than $400 dollars can be spent. That can be stretched to maybe $450 at the most, but my dad would prefer it didn't go that high. Also, don't tell me to buy anything used, I don't know how my brother feels about used gear. I would prefer a better bass guitar rather than a better amp.

I also don't think I will be able to try these out, seeing I live two hours away from the nearest music store(good one at least) we will be ordering off of the internet.

Thanks for the help to anyone who responds.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
the squier for sure. epi basses suck hard
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Wait/look for humanity, his sig is what you need. Just stay the hell away from that T-bird, out of the three I would take the Squier any day. Look at an Ibanez GSR200 and Acoustic amps.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
what exactly is wrong with the epiphone basses?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
amp please? please suggest an amp too, I haven't the slightest idea of any good bass amps.

then again, since theres only about 100 bucks to spend on the amp, i realize its not gonna be anything too great, but im sure there is something decent.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
what exactly is wrong with the epiphone basses?

poor build quality, muddy pickups, neck heavy, poor upper fret access
Quote by Ryker24
poor build quality, muddy pickups, neck heavy, poor upper fret access

and to think I almost told my dad that it would probably be a good buy since epiphone makes some good starter guitars. thank you UG for saving me.

I hate neck heavy guitars/basses(even though my g-400 is neck heavy, it and other SGs are the only exception)
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
amp please? please suggest an amp too, I haven't the slightest idea of any good bass amps.

then again, since theres only about 100 bucks to spend on the amp, i realize its not gonna be anything too great, but im sure there is something decent.

For amps, I would definitely look into Acoustic. Avoid Behringer like the plague. They may be cheap, but this pricing is for a reason. They are very poorly made and they tend to last for only a few months before having some type of major breakdown. As for your earlier question regarding Epiphone basses. They are poorly designed (the Tbird specifically) and very uncomfortable to play in most cases. Also they tend to have a very muddy/horrible tone and their overall quality is tremendously below that of the Squier VM series (which are actually very good beginner basses IMO). Hope that helps.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
thanks everyone, ill probably end up telling my dad to order the squier i mentioned above and ill look into acoustic amps.

I never trusted behringer products, never will. The name itself screams cheap POS.

The squier i mentioned above though is a great starting bass though correct? I've had my eye on it for a while now(before my brother wanted a bass), never played one though.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
That squier is pretty nice, I'd go with it no doubt. I have a few Epiphones myself, the Xplorer, Tbird, and Les Paul, and they're all really neck heavy and muddy. The Xplorer's tone is really off and just plain weird, while the Tbird sounds like mush, and the Les Paul has too much punch. None of them are good basses.
Quote by Lomu
If you want a good AV get something like Norton 360

Do you agree with that guy? That's why we have the Computer Thread. Use it.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Wait/look for humanity, his sig is what you need. Just stay the hell away from that T-bird, out of the three I would take the Squier any day. Look at an Ibanez GSR200 and Acoustic amps.

this. humanity is my hero. I love him so much.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
"starting bass? get these!
1) Ibanez GSR200
2) Acoustic AB50
3) Roadrunner gig bag
4) Monster cable, 12 ft" (thehumanity)

get these and you will be set
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
I'd like to point out that there are quite a few more good starter basses besides the Squier and Ibanez. Peavey, Yamaha, Traben, Warwick, ESP, Greg Bennett, Washburn, SX, and quite a fewl others make instruments in the same price range that are every bit as good or better than those two.

Either of the amp brands mentioned would be good. Peavey's good for small amps too.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 13, 2008,
What about laguna bass guitars? I saw a few of them, wondering if they are any good or should I just stick with the Squier or the Ibanez?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
^ They're perfectly fine. Maybe a bit overpriced for the electronics you get, but every one of them I've played has sounded and felt excellent.
Nope, no sig here.
Am I really going to be the first one to say read the FAQ? It has all the information you would be looking for in a nice package.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
^ It's a good read and is useful, but the gear sections are a bit outdated...
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ It's a good read and is useful, but the gear sections are a bit outdated...

In what way? How is anything they not still applicable? As far as I know, nothing in there has been discontinued or superceeded by newer models.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
No, nothing's been replaced, although some of those basses are being phased out like the GAXB and Milestone. But, there are quite a few more brands and models that should definitely be in there. The Peavey Zodiac, Ibanez IJ-series, Traben Array, and SX LTD series come to mind, and there are others.

The amps section is a joke for beginners....there are six brands listed, four described, and only two of them are good for beginners. No specific models listed whatsoever. At the very least Peavey and Acoustic need to be in there, and again there are quite a few more.
Nope, no sig here.
Why does everyone buy beginner basses NEW? You can pick up much better gear USED for the same price. And as much respect as I have for the Squier VM/CV series, I saw a Warwick Corvette FNA go for $350 on Craigslist last week. It's not just basses either. I've seen some amazing amps go for very cheap. The recession has brought about some great deals in the used instrument market. I mean, can you imagine what it would have been like to start out on a Warwick with GK/SWR/Peavey rig. Who cares if the gear is used (so long as it's in good condition)? I mean, I have nothing against the basses being suggested, but it may not be a bad idea to check your local classifieds before paying full price at a place like GC.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Quote by Caustic
New stuff is still all shiny and has a warranty.

Used stuff is the best way to go, agreed, but someone has to buy the stuff in the first place for it to be used...
Nope, no sig here.
my brother must have something new, he refuses to buy anything used. Im not gonna argue with him and tell him to buy something used anyways, if he wants to be so damn picky thats his choice.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
my brother must have something new, he refuses to buy anything used. Im not gonna argue with him and tell him to buy something used anyways, if he wants to be so damn picky thats his choice.

But, but, but here is what's on Craigslist right now (in VA):

VA-Hampton Roads
Used Fender Jazz Bass (MINT CONDITION!) - $250 (it's an MIM)
Schecter Bass - $350 (it's a Stilleto)

VA-Lynchburg
Peavey Millenium BXP-5 String - $150
Genz Benz 600GBE bass amp - $250

VA-Harrisonburg
Fender Jazz Bass` - $300 (It's an MIM)

Along with numerous other cabs/heads.
Quote by Caustic
^ That only works if you're in a populated area...my craigslist has nothing past Dec. 6
Nope, no sig here.
and i live in emporia, not emporia kansas, emporia virginia.

nobody has ever heard of it
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ That only works if you're in a populated area...my craigslist has nothing past Dec. 6

You have to be willing to travel within your state. Are you telling me that there are no good deals in Arkansas?

Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
and i live in emporia, not emporia kansas, emporia virginia.

nobody has ever heard of it

When did I say that you lived in Kansas?

Look at it this way:
You are approx. 2h48min from Lynchburg, VA
You are approx. 1h18min from Hampton Road, VA
You are approx. 3h12min from Harrisonburg, VA

The median gas price in your state right now is around $1.50/gallon. So, as long as you have access to a vehicle that gets somewhere near 20 mpg (highway) your total gas cost (round trip) to the most distant bass I found (in Harrisonburg) should only be about $30-35 USD. If he doesn't want a used bass that's cool, but there is really nothing stopping you from taking advantage of Craigslist deals in your state.
Quote by Caustic
Quote by Beast_Within
You have to be willing to travel within your state. Are you telling me that there are no good deals in Arkansas?

When did I say that you lived in Kansas?

Look at it this way:
You are approx. 2h48min from Lynchburg, VA
You are approx. 1h18min from Hampton Road, VA
You are approx. 3h12min from Harrisonburg, VA

The median gas price in your state right now is around $1.50/gallon. So, as long as you have access to a vehicle that gets somewhere near 20 mpg (highway) your total gas cost (round trip) to the most distant bass I found (in Harrisonburg) should only be about $30-35 USD. If he doesn't want a used bass that's cool, but there is really nothing stopping you from taking advantage of Craigslist deals in your state.

yeah i know, i wouldn't mind buying used, but my brother does, and my dad would rather we have something new.

and i just said not emporia kansas because thats the only emporia people know
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
yeah i know, i wouldn't mind buying used, but my brother does, and my dad would rather we have something new.

and i just said not emporia kansas because thats the only emporia people know

I have never heard of Emporia, Kansas either That's cool if he and your dad want to buy new, I was just trying to give you an idea of the gear that's available.
Quote by Caustic
Quote by Mutant Corn
No, nothing's been replaced, although some of those basses are being phased out like the GAXB and Milestone. But, there are quite a few more brands and models that should definitely be in there. The Peavey Zodiac, Ibanez IJ-series, Traben Array, and SX LTD series come to mind, and there are others.

The amps section is a joke for beginners....there are six brands listed, four described, and only two of them are good for beginners. No specific models listed whatsoever. At the very least Peavey and Acoustic need to be in there, and again there are quite a few more.

Peavey are listed in the FAQ though. And it was written before Acoustic came back I believe. If you want to write a little bit on a cheapass acoustic amp to go in the FAQ, I'm sure one of the mods would be happy to edit it in.

It gives people what were the most recommended bass amps for beginners on a tight budget. Everything in the FAQ was done by regulars here of their own free will. Nobody is assigned to it's upkeep. If you feel that a section is lacking and you have free time, it would be greatly appreciated.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I wouldn't advise buying used as a beginner. If you get a new one you can learn what is supposed to do what. A used instrument could have something damaged without you realizing it that a more experienced player could overlook or fix. If you find a reliable source used gear can be great to start on.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by gm jack
Peavey are listed in the FAQ though. *edited for shortness*

It appears I've made an ass of myself, I apologize. I completely forgot about that last post. I would be willing to write a few parts, actually.

The point I was trying to get across, though, was that while the FAQ is an excellent set of guidelines, and I applaud the efforts of all who created it, it's not nearly enough on its own for a beginner do decide on a rig.

Quote by BladeSlinger
I wouldn't advise buying used as a beginner. If you get a new one you can learn what is supposed to do what. A used instrument could have something damaged without you realizing it that a more experienced player could overlook or fix. If you find a reliable source used gear can be great to start on.

That's what UG is for
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
What about laguna bass guitars? I saw a few of them, wondering if they are any good or should I just stick with the Squier or the Ibanez?

it depends which ones, i played a laguna tb75 bass and it was amazing, but it was 600$, but i dont know about the lower end stuff though
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by Beast_Within

I mean to say that there are generally very few active ads for bass gear in the state, usually <20, and for the most part in Fayetteville or Little Rock. The latter is fine, I live there, but the former, where most of it usually is, four hours away...most people don't have time to drop a whole day.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
That's what UG is for

Touche

I guess it's just me. I would rather know something myself than rely on a forum for stuff like this...I like to just wing things.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2