So i need a new guitar cable... Just wondering what i should get. I know of the big name cables like monster and planet waves, but are there any out there you guys use that are really good then no one knows about... thanks
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
Livewires are pretty good, cheap and have a lifetime warranty. Cleartones are very good for the price if you're in the UK.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
i get the generic brand with George's Music printed on it, they work just fine and they have lasted longer than the fender one i got with my guitar, easy to repair too
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by Guitargod327
Monster all the way

Monster's are a rip off unless you buy the studios. I have a monster rock cable that costs twice as much as my livewire cable and sounds exactly the same.
wich ones are the ones they got at GC, the gold plated ones.

Those are ****ing great they really improve your sound.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Livewires are pretty good, cheap and have a lifetime warranty. Cleartones are very good for the price if you're in the UK.

This. But like I always say, as long as the cable has a lifetime warranty you basically can't go wrong...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Livewires FTW!!!!
in my opinion, sound just thje same as monsters, and are bout 20 dollars for a 20 ft cable wth lifetime warranty.
they are all i use.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
I use livewires to.

But when i went to GC i took my V18 trough CM-2 OD sounded great.

Took it home didnt sound the same.

Sounded better at GC.

Why Gold plated cables or whatever.

If anyone knows the name of them definately get those.
i use the plant waves cables, lifetime warranty and the circuit breaker is handy for switching guitars.
If we move up the scale a bit price wise, I like George L's and Evidence.

George L's have a very nice tone, but can be quite noisy and scratchy.

Evidence is very nice. Nice tight low end and really fat high notes. Beautiful. I'm debating whether I should start using Evidence exclusively.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
the gold ones at GC? Mogami
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Peavey Classic 120 power amp
Randall Cab
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Noisey, really? I was thinking about buying some George L cable, just the cable, and putting on my own jacks.

There are really three things about a cable that will affect the tone. It's length and overall capacitance (which are related to eachother), and how the cable is insulated.

More high end cable has a lower capacitance, which cuts out spongier mids (use a long cheap cable and you'll hear what I mean). The less you insulate a cable, the more "life" you'll notice in the high end, but the more it will suffere from external noise.

The George L's 155 cable has a very nice tone, but has a very thin insulative layer, meaning the cable can be a bit noisy. The 255 cable suffers for the noise much less, but doesn't sound as nice in my opinion.

Keep in mind, you should always be aiming to minimise cable length in your setup.

My other options are switch to the (very expensive, but very nice) Evidence cables, which give really fat high notes, and a really tight, punchy low end, switch to Mogami which are nicer than Evidence in the midrange, but not in the low and high end, or just stop caring, realise that nobody else really hears the difference but me and switch back to Planet Waves, saving myself alot of money. Somehow, I don't think I'll be doing the last of those options....

My philosophy when it comes to gear is to find the perfect straight through tone, and work everything arounnd that. Guitar, cable and amp. No matter what else you use, you will have to have those three fundementals, and so for that reason I've invest most of my gear budget on those three elements.

Cable matters. Choose wisely.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I never really thought about it, but shielding removing highs does make sense, same thing happens with pickups.
Quote by Prophet of Page
There are really three things about a cable that will affect the tone. It's length and overall capacitance (which are related to eachother), and how the cable is insulated.

More high end cable has a lower capacitance, which cuts out spongier mids (use a long cheap cable and you'll hear what I mean). The less you insulate a cable, the more "life" you'll notice in the high end, but the more it will suffere from external noise.

The George L's 155 cable has a very nice tone, but has a very thin insulative layer, meaning the cable can be a bit noisy. The 255 cable suffers for the noise much less, but doesn't sound as nice in my opinion.

Keep in mind, you should always be aiming to minimise cable length in your setup.

My other options are switch to the (very expensive, but very nice) Evidence cables, which give really fat high notes, and a really tight, punchy low end, switch to Mogami which are nicer than Evidence in the midrange, but not in the low and high end, or just stop caring, realise that nobody else really hears the difference but me and switch back to Planet Waves, saving myself alot of money. Somehow, I don't think I'll be doing the last of those options....

My philosophy when it comes to gear is to find the perfect straight through tone, and work everything arounnd that. Guitar, cable and amp. No matter what else you use, you will have to have those three fundementals, and so for that reason I've invest most of my gear budget on those three elements.

Cable matters. Choose wisely.
Hmm...Maybe I'll stick with the Canare cable I was looking at, then.