I'm planning to get a new guitar..
I'm thinking about getting a guitar with EMG81 or Seymour Duncan SH6 (Distortion).......

Is there any good guitar that comes with SH6 pickup?
I know there are tons of guitar with EMG 81..
Thats a no-brainer...
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") He lost his ears to a pyrotechnics display
Please buy him new ears

Boats and Hos!
depends on the sounds you want (although the pickup is only one component of creating the sound)

i gots EMG81/EMG85... i would definatelly recomend the 81. The 85 has a bit too much bass for regular metal but a mix of the two is good for some rythm and 'soft' clean play. The 81 is a beast with any form of distortion but clean alone it sounds too metalic

if you play metal (thrash to heavy-ish) than the 81 for sure

but remember that other than a pick up the guitar body, and amp play a big part in the tone (strings too)
-----
Peavey 6505+ w/ BG412F
B.C rich platinum pro w/ EMG 81&85
-----
Quote by JanB
depends on the sounds you want (although the pickup is only one component of creating the sound)

i gots EMG81/EMG85... i would definatelly recomend the 81. The 85 has a bit too much bass for regular metal but a mix of the two is good for some rythm and 'soft' clean play. The 81 is a beast with any form of distortion but clean alone it sounds too metalic

if you play metal (thrash to heavy-ish) than the 81 for sure

but remember that other than a pick up the guitar body, and amp play a big part in the tone (strings too)

Does 85 sounds good for blues and lead tone for rock, not metal?

I understand amp plays more part than the guitar.
What I worry is the EMG81 sounds too thin, I will need the neck pickup to help or I will stuck at metal tone only.
Last edited by hidehide at Dec 13, 2008,
In that case, go distortion.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.