Hey guys, I got a bronze series mockingbird from 00 at a fleamarket a little while back for about 1 bill. I like the feel of the guitar it's actually REALLY nice, compared to the sound which is about avarage. I play alot of metal but I HATE EMGs, I do have a tube amp though (two infact, a dual recto mesa halfstack and a DSL401,) so I might be persuaded.

Regardless I'm still not crazy about them, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I was thinking a super distortion in the bridge and a paf pro in the neck? Or maybe a d-sonic in the bridge. But then again I'm getting a JPMM for christmas and that has a d-sonic in the bridge...so haha. Basically, good metal pickup, that can handle cleans and drop tunings well.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Ibanez Rg440 Roadster II Series
Gibson Flying V
SE Custom Paul Allender edition
Frankenstrat Replica (that I made)
Guild Madeira Nylon acoustic.
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
I'd like to thicken up my tone, their OK stock pickups. But I'd like more crunch and a fatter tone, while being able to hit some nice highs for a solo. I mainly use my neck pickup so thats most important. But I will occasionally use the bridge and the stock bridge pup sucks too. Really fat preferably for the bridge.
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
EQ pedal might do more for your sound than new pups at this point. MIGHT being the keyword....just throwing that out there.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
uh....no, I have a dual recto. I'm really feeling the paf pro and super distortion still. But wondering if anyone else had a good combo. I did research on the two pickups earlier suggested and they had mixed reviews. However PAF pros and super distortions are widely regarded
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
of course, cuz a mesa dual recto means that it couldn't POSSIBLY be an EQ problem. put a 10 band MXR EQ in front of that amp and i bet you'll change your mind REAL quick.

like i said, it was a possibility. i don't believe new pups will change your tone much.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Dimarzio Super 3 in the bridge and a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the neck.

OR

A MXR Ten Band EQ to tighten up the tone a bit.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
^ no they don't.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Blacken Seas
^ no they don't.

Subjective opinion.

Also...

Thats just why 90% of any hard rock and metal artists are using them....
^TS said he didn't want EMGs, so don't bring them up.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Dimarzio Breed in the bridge position. a Norton in the neck wouldn't be bad.

Exactly what I was going to say. Breed bridge and Air Norton neck.
Ive heard mixed review for the air norton. However I really feel like the pickups are the problem hear. The sound on any amp about average. I'd like some high quality pickups (dimarzios are probably my best bet) that can get me a crunch and good lead, and a really fat bridge pickup that can also handle some crunch but at the same time isnt muddy. Thats my main gripe, bridge pickups usually sound muddy. I only use them for cleans most of time to thicken the tone. I do like the bridge pup on my JPMM for metal and stuff though(the d-sonic)
Gear-
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland Micro Cube
Les Paul Studio
Gibson Flying V
Fender P Bass
Ampeg 1x14
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, if you want a tighter sound, an EQ pedal may be right up your alley, man. Rectos have a loose low end. Using an EQ to fine tune those frequencies can really beef up your sound.

+1 to this statement and +1 to the Breed and Air Norton Combo.

The Breed in the bridge is really thick but without the mud. I'd say it's mainly for Hard Rock/Rock, but it has a tight and punchy low end as well, so it can do metal right along with the other passive metal pups. (I play At The Gates, Carcass, and Bodom with mine and I love it.)

I can't say much about the Air Norton, but I know it's recommended to be used with a Breed in the bridge when the player doesn't want as much bass as the Breed Neck.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Breeds can get slightly muddy with darker sounding tonewoods; what's the Mockingbird made of?
Quote by forsaknazrael
^I find they're really nice in basswood, but I've heard 'em in mahogany, and it's just fine. Beefier, but not muddy.

I heard them in a Les Paul and it wasn't all too clear. To be honest though, it was all mahogany with a 24.5" scale length and the player was using medium/light picks for whatever reason. I suppose you're right, but they're still not super clear to my ears.