I bought a squier stat from my friend today and i was wondering what i could do to improve its playability. Nothing has been done to it so far but i was thinking about changing the pick ups and the bridge. It is definitely one of the better Squier strats and i don't want to change to much b8ut i want to make it a better guitar.

I play rock, funk, and chili peppers stuff so i am looking or a good bridge for sustain and some nice pickups.

Any help will be appreciated.
Member of: The anti-zombie alliance
you can't really make a bad guitar any better. to be honest mods are for good guitars to make them that much better.
IMO never worth upgrading junk like that. the neck is still going to be crap, the body is still going to be made out of second grade wood, etc, etc, etc.
Quote by tona_107
you can't really make a bad guitar any better. to be honest mods are for good guitars to make them that much better.
IMO never worth upgrading junk like that. the neck is still going to be crap, the body is still going to be made out of second grade wood, etc, etc, etc.

Don't listen to this guy.

You can always upgrade the tuners, bridge, pups, etc. Do not let this man discourage you.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
everything else is pretty much fine. the pick ups have are really bad so i was hoping to improve the sound somewhat by replacing the pickups and possibly the bridge.
Budget?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
Don't listen to this guy.

You can always upgrade the tuners, bridge, pups, etc. Do not let this man discourage you.

Lol K. I clearly said it was just my opinion, even though that was obvious because it was me saying it.
It's your opinion that it's worth it then go ahead and help him.
But once again the craftsmanship of the guitar will never improve, and new tuners bridge, pups will run in the hundreds so I fail to see how it is a solid investment.
You can improve aspects but like I said IMO not worth it, you don't have to take my advice or bash it though, if you don't like it leave it.
..Chill dude. He wants to mod HIS guitar. He's asking for mod suggestions, not whether or not it's worth it. I have seen many a Squier become a good guitar.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by chuckflan333
..Chill dude. He wants to mod HIS guitar. He's asking for mod suggestions, not whether or not it's worth it. I have seen many a Squier become a good guitar.

?
I'm very chill.
Does he want a trem or set bridge?
and budget for bridge/pups if we're to help him.
Yeah. What's your budget?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Squiers aren't bad guitars. If it was a stagg it would be a whole different story.

For pickups, i'd either go for seymour duncan hot rails or fender american series strat pickups. Or a combination of the two. Hot rail in bridge, single coil in middle and neck, or hot rails in neck and bridge and single coil in the middle.
i figure ill stick with a trem bridge and my budget is pretty much whatever. Obvioulsy nothing ridiculous or I'd just get a new guitar. Lets figure around 300-450 for a new bridge and pickups.
Wilkinson vintage tremolo should fit and be a big improvement. As for pickups, you wanted a Frusciante tone? Take a look at the Fender Custom Shop 69 Pickups.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
well not necessarily a frusciante tone, i just play that style of music. Stuff thats funky and rockish. The pickups in the guitar almost have the sound i want, they are just ****ty squier pickups. Basically i need a good version of them.
Again, the 69s are amazing for that type of tone. That is if you are willing to shell out the $200 for a set. I'm sure there is a cheaper alternative somewhere.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
200 for a set of three? Are they hot or not really?
Generally they are what people put in to get a Hendrix sound, which is also generally Frusciante's sound to an extent. So, you can decide that on your own
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
hmm... they seem alright. i guess spending 200 bucks to have a pretty decent guitar would be better than buying a nice guitar for a grand
Very true. Do you happen to know what the wood or model of your Squier are?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
actually no i dont. I can tell you that is an Affinity series and it was made in Indonesia. How big of a difference does the wood make?
Alder body then: nice. it's arguable, but at least you now know that it's a good wood. Just makes the pickup switch more worth it.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
yeathe 69s sound pretty good. thanks for the help
No problem! Sound clips when you get them?
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I have a Squier and it's pretty good despite an annoying buzzing sound that comes up if you hit the bottoms strings too hard when open (would a new nut fix this?).
Maybe a stacked 'bucker in the bridge position would make it kind of badass.* Other than that, I wouldn't know.
* Anybody know where I can find instruction to make a stacked or rail pickup? that would be awesome, because I love that kind of stuff.
Newbs are dorks... oh wait, I'm a newb... shoot...

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE!!!!!! I DRINK IT UP!!!

One of these smilies is mentally challenged
Quote by tona_107

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm a musician who is a one man band. I record albums palying all the instruments myself. I have two main guitars.

One is a stock Squier '51 and it belts out those Grungy type tunes really well.

The other is a Strat that I built out of random parts. I'm not made of money so it was cheap. I ended up trading a bass body for a strat body which was made of alder. It had been re-painted. It's now black but it was some sort of red. I purchased a squier strat neck (maple/rosewood). I imagine it's probably from an old bullet or something because it's really slim (and comfy) and has the regular headstock compared to the 70's counterpart. I put old 80's Charvel tuners on it (which didn't quite line up corectly but were still totally functional). I got an old strat copy cheap jap tremolo to throw on there and put two springs in the back that I had laying around. I ended up fixing an acoustic for a friend and in return, he gave me his old stock squier bullet pickgaurd with pickups and all electronics (jack included). I went and bought a jack plate and pickguard screws as well as a back plate and hooked it all up. I adjusted the pickups a bit. The guitar is heavy in weight, weighing 8.5 pounds (how, I'm not sure) but it's all squier parts (except the body) and it is by far, the most brilliant start I've ever heard. It's does everything I want it to. So, you can make a cheap guitar sound awesome.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

Quote by thefreshman
I have a Squier and it's pretty good despite an annoying buzzing sound that comes up if you hit the bottoms strings too hard when open (would a new nut fix this?).
Maybe a stacked 'bucker in the bridge position would make it kind of badass.* Other than that, I wouldn't know.
* Anybody know where I can find instruction to make a stacked or rail pickup? that would be awesome, because I love that kind of stuff.

Could be the frets. Take a small straightedge and lay it across three frets at a time at each string position and move down the neck, if it wobbles the problem can probably be resolved by a fret dress for about 60 bucks, although in bad cases you might need entirely new frets, which is too much for a Squier. If it's only a couple of spots on a couple frets you can fix it with some fine sandpaper. Just take the strings off, put something on the fretboard surrounding the fret that's too high so you don't scratch it up, and sand the fret down until it's level with the others. Don't do it too much on too many, though, or you could end up wearing the frets to the point where it's hard to do bends.