Page 1 of 2
i just wanted to know what everyone here likes about music, or what they look for in music.

for me, its a sense of authenticity, like i want to be able to feel the music, take for instance sonic youth, alot of their songs are about 8 mins long and have only about a min of singing, and though the lyrics are insightful, you can really feel the meaning in the guitar work, sometimes the music itself says more than the words.

so yeah, what does everyone else look for in music?
nothing.
i like it because it makes perfect sense. everything relates to everything else. you just have to see the breaks. its like mathematics you can hear.

edit: i swear it made sense in my head.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Last edited by Zugunruhe at Dec 12, 2008,
Music must captivate me. It most move me emotionally in some way, whether it's excitement, sorrow, anger, etc.
music is something that is undescribable. you can somehow relate almost any song to yourself in some form or fashion. it's a form of expression, and, like any art, theres no rules. which is awesome
I like the way music sounds.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by guitardude34875
music is something that is undescribable. you can somehow relate almost any song to yourself in some form or fashion. it's a form of expression, and, like any art, theres no rules. which is awesome

yes, music speaks to everyone differently.

i love it when you find a song that really hits home, and you can just feel it, and it just kind of consolidates what youve been feeling, or where your going in life
nothing.
I just fall for music that get's their point across through the mood... If the songs meant to be sad, and they do so nicely, +1 for me...

Also, any christian song is a plus for me to, cas i listen to the lyrics more than the music itself.
ADVERTISING SPACE FOR SALE!
I don't charge much...

If you don't click this , you'll die :/
I like music because it's fun to listen to, it passes the time, it's a great soundtrack to anything you may do. It can pump me up or help me relax.

I look for all different kinds of things. Little things usually catch me:
A message in the lyrics
Groove
The flow of vocals
Drum rolls

Little things can make a decent song great in my opinion.
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Quote by SaulHudson#2
i just wanted to know what everyone here likes about music, or what they look for in music.

for me, its a sense of authenticity, like i want to be able to feel the music, take for instance sonic youth, alot of their songs are about 8 mins long and have only about a min of singing, and though the lyrics are insightful, you can really feel the meaning in the guitar work, sometimes the music itself says more than the words.

so yeah, what does everyone else look for in music?

Have you ever heard the alternate take of Diamond Sea on that Destroyed Room b-sides and rarities album? It's like 25 minutes long. Holy ****!

Good times.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by Hergiswi
I don't like music. It killed my father and raped my mother.

Mom met Dad in the back of a rock n roll car.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by merfsullivan
I like music because it's fun to listen to, it passes the time, it's a great soundtrack to anything you may do. It can pump me up or help me relax.

I look for all different kinds of things. Little things usually catch me:
A message in the lyrics
Groove
The flow of vocals
Drum rolls

Little things can make a decent song great in my opinion.

yeah, i guess im more into the music as a whole than the individual parts, like i play guitar, but i dont play guitar cos i wanna play guitar, i play guitar cos i wanna write songs and express myself, though i used to be all about the indivdual parts of music, like the guitar solo in a song, or if it has cool drums in it, but i guess opinions change
nothing.
Quote by civildp1
Have you ever heard the alternate take of Diamond Sea on that Destroyed Room b-sides and rarities album? It's like 25 minutes long. Holy ****!

Good times.

havent heard the alternate take, ive got the 19 min album version, that song speaks so loudly, even though theres barely any words, thats a brilliant song in my opinion, you can really feel it through the layers of guitar
nothing.
I like music because it offers something to me that language does not; something that language simply cannot contest: it is not concrete. Words have definitions and connotations and associations that bring it down, music is not so handicapped. For some reason, even lyrical music does not suffer from this.
Unlike language, music dosnt really have boundries. I find it amazing how music makes u feel pumped, relaxed, happy, uptight, etc. without words or anything, its really amazing. music is math mixed with sound mixed with expression.

If the music has a lyrical story or message, the instruments can help you understand the emotion, set the mood. Its truly amazing

Also, composing your own music is an amazing feeling too. You get to convey a message in a unique way, you get to explore emotions unable to touch with words.

even just improvising on a piano/keyboard feels amazing to me

In other words, music is ****ing epic!
Last edited by 1crazyboy7 at Dec 12, 2008,
to me, music kinda takes the words right out of your head that you dont know how to express and makes it clear to everyone else with out having to be frustrated you cant get your point across.
music is a way of life. its a language. its anything and everything you want it to be. your way out when you are pissed, your shoulder to cry on when you upset or your support when you need it.

music...its just the way we live.

ill never falter.ill stand my ground.

yes, i am a girl.
also...

say your on vacation, and you really like this one band.

When you get back home, you like a different band.

Then a few months or weeks or something later. You listen to the band again.

All the memories, all the emotions you were feeling at teh time you were listening to that song on vacation come back.

Now that feeling, really hits me hard.

In other words again...Music is ****ing epic!
it's aiight dawg

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Zugunruhe
i like it because it makes perfect sense. everything relates to everything else. you just have to see the breaks. its like mathematics you can hear.

edit: i swear it made sense in my head.

Made sense to me, maybe thats why they call mathrock mathrock.

Anyways i like creativity. I like when bands are original and they play in a style that i never thought of. Also what zug said.
I can really feel the music sometimes. Also, the fact that a group of people can create an amazing song right in front of my eyes.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Superstrat101
I don't know, I just like the music. It does something for me that nothing else can do
sexual favors?
i like music because music is life, and whenever im upset or mad about something i just listen to my ipod for a while and i feel better
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
I like how the drum beat, the guitar(s), the bass and the Vocalist clash together in harmony.

I don't care too much for any solos. Shredding does not neither matter. opening riffs and lyrics is what I orient myself after in a good song.
DeVillains!
I like music that pleases my ear..

Alot of the time, my brother brings metal cds round and put a bands full set of cds on repeat, it takes me about two times through one cd to really get into it, then there's no turning back for me.
i remember one time i felt rly depressed for a few months ( i still do, now that i think of it)
and i was listening to this one song
and all of a sudden i realized, "holy crap...ive been having suicidal thoughts"
thats when i got hooked on deathcore
Quote by Ylasto
I like how the drum beat, the guitar(s), the bass and the Vocalist clash together in harmony.

I don't care too much for any solos. Shredding does not neither matter. opening riffs and lyrics is what I orient myself after in a good song.

ditto, i dont really like shredding particularly much, i think sometimes you can be more effective using less notes, like i think a moving chord progression can be more meaningful than a big solo
nothing.
Music evokes emotions and memories in me (eg. if I was listening to a certain song while I was at the beach, every time I hear that song it would remind me of the beach) and the way that it can change your mood is just so awe inspiring.

My basic theory with music is that if it makes you feel good, it IS good!
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
I don't choose to like music, my brain just tells me to like a song/sound I am hearing.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
The smell of it.

What the hell do you think?!

I like the way that sounds can conjure emotions within me.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
The smell of it.

What the hell do you think?!

I like the way that sounds can conjure emotions within me.

The smell of vinyl is actually quite invigorating
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
Quote by andychalmers102
The smell of vinyl is actually quite invigorating

That's the material, not the music. Stop being difficult.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by andychalmers102
Music evokes emotions and memories in me (eg. if I was listening to a certain song while I was at the beach, every time I hear that song it would remind me of the beach) and the way that it can change your mood is just so awe inspiring.

My basic theory with music is that if it makes you feel good, it IS good!

well put
nothing.
Page 1 of 2