So I have a chord progression in C major that has a Neapolitan chord in it and I was wondering what I would use to solo over that chord. Also I was wondering if the chord has to be inverted to be considered a Neapolitan chord.
Quote by zac362
not many ppl have heard of the lochrian mode, mainly cos its only really usefull for mindless shredding
Usually they are in first inversion and you can still use C major. If you changed what you were going to play over the Neapolitan than it will not sound like a neapolitan anymore, it will sound like a random key change.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by SOAD_freak777
So I have a chord progression in C major that has a Neapolitan chord in it and I was wondering what I would use to solo over that chord. Also I was wondering if the chord has to be inverted to be considered a Neapolitan chord.
Neapolitan chords should be in their first inversion. In some cases, the second and uninverted forms are fine.

If you were to solo over it, use chord tones. If you're using it as a pre-dominant (like you should be), you want to make that chord sounds as seperate from the Gmaj chord as possible. Therefore, no Cmajor scale. And because you're only going out of key for one measure, I don't recommend you change scales for that chord.
Just my two cents.
Quote by demonofthenight
Neapolitan chords should be in their first inversion. In some cases, the second and uninverted forms are fine.

If you were to solo over it, use chord tones. If you're using it as a pre-dominant (like you should be), you want to make that chord sounds as seperate from the Gmaj chord as possible. Therefore, no Cmajor scale. And because you're only going out of key for one measure, I don't recommend you change scales for that chord.
Just my two cents.

I am using it as a predominant. So I should just use the notes of the chord without really using any scale over it?
Quote by zac362
not many ppl have heard of the lochrian mode, mainly cos its only really usefull for mindless shredding
Quote by SOAD_freak777
I am using it as a predominant. So I should just use the notes of the chord without really using any scale over it?
Yeah, and maybe some other random notes (random at first, but experiment to hear what sounds best) on non-down beats if you're feeling courageous.

Neapolitan chords aren't used much in rock or jazz, so not much is known on what can be played over them. Should we treat them as dominant chords? As major7 chords?
Quote by demonofthenight
Yeah, and maybe some other random notes (random at first, but experiment to hear what sounds best) on non-down beats if you're feeling courageous.

Neapolitan chords aren't used much in rock or jazz, so not much is known on what can be played over them. Should we treat them as dominant chords? As major7 chords?

Alright i'm going to go experiment. Thanks for the help.
Quote by zac362