My friend who plays bass gave me his bass to change the strings. He dropped it off and I found out he took all the strings off at once, which I know for a fact you're not supposed to do. I've heard this causes really bad problems, but how bad really is his neck messed up now?
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
not very. it will take a bit of action switching, but as long as he's diligent it should be normal soon.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Thank God, I was freaking out. It's a new bass, he got it about 4 months ago.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Going from full tension to none for an extended period isn't good, but worse things can happen. Just string her up and get it back to playing shape.
haha
Its not damaged. But its not a good habit for him to get into either. A bass has quite a bit of tension on the neck, and its released when you do this. I'd change my strings one at a time, unless I was cleaning or oiling the fretboard or something. In that case I would slacken the truss a little so the neck isn't forced into a backbow.