EDIT: Got the initally question answered, now there is a new question. 3rd post on page 3. Thanks

I have a paper due Monday for English (Eng IV AP, gayest class ever btw) and the teachers takes off like 50 points for minor mistakes, so basically it has to be perfect to get a B; she doesn't give A's...

Anyways, I'm quoting somone from a novel who uses quotation marks in the part of the quote I'm using. Does that make sesne?

Ex:
Jimi (somewhere in the novel): I think this is a "great idea".
My paper: Jimi clearly likes the idea of whatever by stating, "I think this is a "great idea".".

What would be the correct way of putting all that in quotes? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by jumi1174 at Dec 12, 2008,
Grammar.

Quote by jumi1174
I have a paper due Monday for English (Eng IV AP, gayest class ever btw) and the teachers takes off like 50 points for minor mistakes, so basically it has to be perfect to get a B; she doesn't give A's...

Anyways, I'm quoting somone from a novel who uses quotation marks in the part of the quote I'm using. Does that make sesne?

Ex:
Jimi (somewhere in the novel): I think this is a "great idea".
My paper: Jimi clearly likes the idea of whatever by stating, "I think this is a "great idea".".

What would be the correct way of putting all that in quotes? Thanks in advance.

What in the F. "I think this is a 'great idea.'"
"i think this is a 'great idea'."

i think this is how its done
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
no.
My paper: Jimi clearly likes the idea of whatever by stating, "I think this is a 'great idea.'"
there.
i think it would be
Jimi clearly likes the idea of whatever by stating, 'I think this is a "great idea'".

i think thats it
Wow........and here come the grammar nazis.

ill never falter.ill stand my ground.

yes, i am a girl.
Quote by kaybee
Wow........and here come the grammar nazis.

In a thread asking for help with grammar, no less. I for one, did not see that coming ever.
...by stating, "This is a great idea."
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
GUYS GUYS GUYS! I asked my high school english teacher, and she said it would be like this:
Why are there two quotes at the end? That's wrong. It at the very least, looks wrong.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by fffplol
'I think this is a "great idea".'

I think its the other way around, "I think this is a 'great idea' ".
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Last edited by Siege of Power at Dec 12, 2008,
I'M positive they go inside quotations.

Jimi said, "Hey guys, I love proper grammar!"

This is the structure.

And I actually wrote "grammer" before finding the error...oops.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Punctuation goes inside the quotations unless you are listing, which you should never do in an AP class because NAZI AP English teachers HATE it when you list things.
oh yeah and I asked my mom and she said "its stereo amp and I don't think its tube..."
Alright I got it, and I just realized I misspelled grammer...wow...

Another quick question, one of the sentences inside my quotes has a quote that ends in a question mark. How do I handle that?

Ex: (At some point in novel, Jimi says) He really "ate the ground"?

Me - Jimi asked, "He really 'ate the ground'?"

Is that right?
Quote by jumi1174
Alright I got it, and I just realized I misspelled grammer...wow...

Another quick question, one of the sentences inside my quotes has a quote that ends in a question mark. How do I handle that?

Ex: (At some point in novel, Jimi says) He really "ate the ground"?

Me - Jimi asked, "He really 'ate the ground'?"

Is that right?

looks fine to me.
Ok I'm just going to post the entire quote because I dont know about the ending citations either.

Edward Flannery, a Roman Catholic priest who was also a member of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Secretariat for Catholic-Jewish Relations, states it best when he says, “It is cardinal principle of Juedo-Christian ethics that forgiveness must always be granted to the sincerely repentant. In the Gospel we read Jesus’ answer to the question of how many times one must forgive. Should it be ‘seven times’? His answer was ‘Seventy times seven times’… a way of saying ‘always.’”--(Wiesenthal, 136).

I put hyphens at the end so you can see the spaces.

PS: The book in question is Simon Wiesenthal's The Sunflower. Wiesenthal is a Jew in Nazi Germany that is asked to be forgiven by a dying SS man. The prompt is what would we do and I said forgive becuase of my religion (Catholic, not hardcore though).

So yeah that's why there is religions references in the quote. I dont care if your religious or not, that's not here or there so please don't bring that up.
Quote by jumi1174
Ok I'm just going to post the entire quote because I dont know about the ending citations either.

Edward Flannery, a Roman Catholic priest who was also a member of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops’ Secretariat for Catholic-Jewish Relations, states it best when he says, “It is cardinal principle of Juedo-Christian ethics that forgiveness must always be granted to the sincerely repentant. In the Gospel we read Jesus’ answer to the question of how many times one must forgive. Should it be ‘seven times’? His answer was ‘Seventy times seven times’… a way of saying ‘always.’”--(Wiesenthal, 136).

I put hyphens at the end so you can see the spaces.

PS: The book in question is Simon Wiesenthal's The Sunflower. Wiesenthal is a Jew in Nazi Germany that is asked to be forgiven by a dying SS man. The prompt is what would we do and I said forgive becuase of my religion (Catholic, not hardcore though).

So yeah that's why there is religions references in the quote. I dont care if your religious or not, that's not here or there so please don't bring that up.

I know you can't change it now and I wouldn't suggest trying.
But next time don't try to use religion for an aguement, very weak reasoning.
(being completely honest)

But that quote looks fine to me.
^Yeh, I also agree that religion is a weak arguement, but it's a Catholic (all boy too, nonetheless...) school.

Probably 95% of the teachers there are Catholic, so I'm just buttering my teacher's bread.

EDIT: Also, is the following sentecne grammatically correct (with the period-question mark business):

Wiesenthal invites the reader to ask him or herself, “What would I have done?”.
Last edited by jumi1174 at Dec 13, 2008,