So I am an apartment player at the moment, possibly moving to a house next year but nothing solid at the moment. My current main rig is a rectoverb 50 combo with an eq pedal out in front.

I am not able to turn the output level up very high at all. In fact it has to stay quite low to maintain tolerable volume levels. To be honest it has to stay very low.

My question is, how much do the attenuators help? I am ready to go ahead and order the THD hot plate, but before i throw 300 bones at it I was wondering if there are any opinions out there.

I've watched youtube videos but to be honest they are all so compressed its almost not much help. Was looking for some real testimonial from attenuator owners.

Thanks guys!
Guitars
Amps
You could spend that 300 on a small 5w amp...
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by hell_monkey
You could spend that 300 on a small 5w amp...

cept a 5w amp cant do metal which is what i think hes trying to do
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
In terms of volume management, I've actually found my MXR M-108 equalizer pedal to be very helpful. I turn the gain and volume sliders to -12 and bam, instant quiet. I can even turn my amp to 5 or so and it'll be a very managable volume. In a way it's like a master volume knob. If you're looking for high-gain sound at a low volume I think this is the more managable solution - attenuators were invented to acquire power amp distortion at a reasonable volume, which is useful for classic rock and such - the 'sag' provided is undesirable for metal, however.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
There are cheaper options than the hotplate-
Look into the Weber attenuators, or build a simple L-pad for $25 if you're handy with a soldering iron.
I use an L-pad in my apartment, drops my 15-watter down to 2. It does squish the tone a bit, but I find it quite useful for playing at night or when the roommates are watching TV.
I'd go with the attenuator. Amps like that were made to be run hard, and other solutions (like the EQ suggested above) will cut your guitar's volume going in to the amp, so the amp won't be giving nearly as much oomph as it could. IMO, if you have the 300 for a hotplate, I'd go for it.
no
If you do go the attenuator route, I'd recommend a Weber MASS over the THD hotplate. The weber uses a speaker motor instead of resistors and sucks less tone. Not to mention it's cheaper.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
+1 to the Weber Mass over the Hotplate.

I'd go with an attenuator in your situation, especially the mass, let's you run the amp full tilt, the way tube amps are meant to be run.
Pick flowers not fights.
Make love not war.
Drop acid not bombs.

attenuators are great for keeping your stage volume under control. you could crank your amp and bring it down to a workable volume for stage, but when you bring it down to "bedroom" levels, it generally doesnt sound real great, IMO.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I built my own weber mega dump. It does sound good at bedroom levels but you need to eq it and an OD pedal sure does help. When you have em cranked down it does muffle the trebile.
After reading the replies and more research I ended up ordering the Weber Mass 100. I will try to post non-attenuated vs attenuated videos after I receive it for those wondering like I was.
Guitars
Amps
Good deal man, those MASS units are ace. They are very transparent IMO all the way until you get to full attenuation, at that point there is tone loss. I find that when I need to be extremely quiet some cutting of the master volume and not necessarily full attenuating give the best tone. Otherwise I run the master full tilt and adjust the volume until I can get breakup by hitting hard but regular strumming is fairly clean.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Just get a microcube or somthin. You dont need amazing tone for apartment practice.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by GuitarNinja12
Just get a microcube or somthin. You dont need amazing tone for apartment practice.

he could want it...
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
he could want it...

Fair enough.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"