Page 1 of 2
Anyone? Personally, I think he's amazing, really overlooked, he has an almost cult following. My Aim Is True is one of the best debut albums of all time.

Elvis Costello - Watching The Detectives
Elvis Costello - High Fidelity
Elvis Costello - Beyond Belief (live)

This is the Punk/Ska forum because I believe this is the most suitable place for him Anyway, discuss!

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
i love Costello. Watching the Detectives in one of my all-time favorite reggae songs, and i love Radio Radio. definitly underrated.
He's got so many great albums, I defineatly need to check them all out, I think my dad has a stash somewhere

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
He's got so many great albums, I defineatly need to check them all out, I think my dad has a stash somewhere

I have his first two, but sadly my father doesn't have any of his records..
I like "Alison." I've heard a little bit of his other music, but I haven't really gotten into him that much. He's #29 on my list of music to buy. It's in alphabetical order though, not in order of priority.
I loooooove "My aim is true"
one of my favorite albums of all time. But I don't like his other stuff nearly as much. My dad has a lot of his albums on vinyl, maybe I'll check them out again.
Elvis Costello is the best performer named Elvis
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
my parents decided to name my sister Alison after the song..

heh
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
Elvis Presley
Elvis Costello
Elvis Ramone

Let's name all the performers named Elvis.
I agree to the Elvis thing, I don't like Mr. Presley's music

During my search for Elvis Costello CD's, I found some presents. Awesome.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I got into him through my pops. My Aim is True is the only thing of his that I've listened to extensively, but I've enjoyed everything else I've heard by him. I saw him open for Bob Dylan last year. He just played a solo acoustic set, and it was very good. He's quite a performer, never mind his songwriting.
What's with everybody's dad liking Elvis Costello? I wish my dad liked Elvis Costello.
Costello is very parent-likeable by the sounds of things

Ok, so I have My Aim Is True, Armed Forces and Imperial Bedroom, what next?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
AWFUL Costello. I know I'm right.

Of course you are.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
He has a fabulous sense of melody.

Therefore I like lots of his songs.

Also his voice fits my vocal range so when I do karaoke you can bet I'ma sing some EC.
Very good songwriter, and his double/triple entendres and intelligent lyrics are super refreshing. Match that with undeniably catchy melodies and good counterpoint basslines and you have greatness on your hands.
Elvis is king!
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Costello is very parent-likeable by the sounds of things

Ok, so I have My Aim Is True, Armed Forces and Imperial Bedroom, what next?

Of course you are.

this year's model. it's as good if not better than my aim is true.
Quote by werty22
What's with everybody's dad liking Elvis Costello? I wish my dad liked Elvis Costello.

My dad loves Elvis Costello. I think he is my dad's absolute favorites. I love him too. His songs re incredibly catchy but they aren't annoying, which I find impressive.
My dad likes him, too. So do I, at least what I've heard.
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by NGD1313
this year's model. it's as good if not better than my aim is true.

Excellent. I don't think anything can beat a debut as fine as his though.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
And all of a sudden it's uncool to like Costello

Fuck that, he's still awesome.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by RockThe40oz
Not punk. Not then, not now, not ever. HEY I'VE GOT AN IDEA! LET'S PUT A BOB DYLAN THREAD IN HERE NEXT! P0NX

Don't tempt me .
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by mikko 9119
my parents decided to name my sister Alison after the song..

heh

Yeah, lol. It was the only girl's name that my husband and I could agree upon.

I love ECs earlier stuff esp. with the Attractions. Bruce Thomas is one of the reasons I started playing bass. I more fond of his angry young man stage than the bitter, older reflecting Elvis though.

And I don't think I'd call him punk. Esp. since he once said the Clash sounded like seals barking over a pile of drills. Even when he first broke through he was lumped with "the new wave" crowd with the rest of the wake of the pub rock crowd.
Quote by anarkee
Yeah, lol. It was the only girl's name that my husband and I could agree upon.

I love ECs earlier stuff esp. with the Attractions. Bruce Thomas is one of the reasons I started playing bass. I more fond of his angry young man stage than the bitter, older reflecting Elvis though.

And I don't think I'd call him punk. Esp. since he once said the Clash sounded like seals barking over a pile of drills. Even when he first broke through he was lumped with "the new wave" crowd with the rest of the wake of the pub rock crowd.

They kind of did in the early days. That was part of their appeal. I believe one critic said it sounded like their first album was recorded inside a tin can.
^
Quote by RockThe40oz
Not punk. Not then, not now, not ever. HEY I'VE GOT AN IDEA! LET'S PUT A BOB DYLAN THREAD IN HERE NEXT! P0NX

For your information, I asked sargasm if I could make this here.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by lounge act
Theory: Every 2 out of 3 dads receives/finds/buys an early EC album with the birth of his first child.

Well I guess that proves i'm adopted then.

I have his first two albums. Are the rest as good?
Quote by Love_Buzz

Its a bit of a mixed bag. To the first two, I would definitely add "Armed Forces". I like "Get Happy" but then again, I have a soft spot for R & B. "Trust" is good as well.

After 1983--he went off on the "genre of the moment" phase and the albums get a bit inconsistent. There's some brilliant moments here and there, but if you like the first two albums, its not enough to buy a full album worth.
Quote by Love_Buzz

'When I Was Cruel' and 'Blood & Chocolate' are two that are great, but frequently overlooked.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Elvis Costello is my favorite musician by far. I could go on about him but he truly is a God. Very influencial in my writing.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
How about this: He has a cameo appearance on Fall Out Boy's new album. Now THAT is punk.
...why would he do such a thing?

Srsly?

He's also in Talladega Nights, that was a cool cameo.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Page 1 of 2