This spring I wanted to join a sports team at school. I'm in my junior year right now. Just wanted to know how hard of a sport lacrosse is to learn. My other option is baseball, which I know well and played for 6 years, but I'm really looking for something different. Yes, I've tossed a lacrosse ball around with friends playing catch, but how hard is the game itself? I don't want to join the team and have no idea what I'm doing and look like an idiot all season. Kids at my school take sports seriously. Thanks.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
LAX BRO!!!

It's not that hard, if you practice enough you can get good at it pretty quick.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Are there practice centers like there are for baseball where I can go, maybe get someone to give me a few pointers?
Quote by ottoavist

There probably are somewhere, I never looked for them though. Just play with friends after school and stuff.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

It just takes a lot of practice. I started my freshman year in high school, as did most of the team, and my senior team we made it to the semi-finals for state. What would you be interested in playing? Goalie, attack, midde, or D(what I played)?

Stick skill is by far the most important thing, you have to play wall ball constantly, and work on your shot or checks depending on what you play. Just do which ever you'll have to most fun with too. Throughout high school I weighed between 115-120lbs to 135 senior year and was about 5'10" and I started because I worked on my checks and was scrappy so my size didn't matter.
I hate playing lacrosse. If you have the ball, there's that douche bag that pounds your hand instead of the stick and they always hit the scars of previous injures.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

its pretty easy to catch onto dude, its hella fun. the best sport IMO. its easy to pick up on and get pretty good at too, it took me a few month of practice to get the basics to really click in and when your doing more serious team stuff then youll do fine, just keep practicin, and practicing. A lot like guitar realy, just with more work of your legs

dont worry if you dont seem to fit in with the rest of the players, they usually dont care, just have fun and do good. im freinds with the whole lacrosse team at my school, i had to give it up for the past 2 years because of snowboarding. i would miss way to many games. id much rather snowboard, but thats only cuz ive been doin that for 8 years compared to the 3 i have had with lacrosse
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Deffinately not goalie. Probably attack or middle, but I'm a bigger kid. 145-150lbs strong build, so I don't know where I would be put.
Quote by ottoavist

hahah 145lb bigger kid? I'm 150 and I'm scrawny as ****!

But I play D... Anyways, stick skills, (catching, throwing, and being able to dodge) do take some time, one or two months if you work hard at it. After that, it's just how far your athleticism will take you.

Just fyi, Defense have different sticks than Attack and Midfield. The Defense sticks are much longer. So if you end up buying a lacrosse stick, that should factor in as well.
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
I would have you ask my friend, because he's a ****ing lacrosse freak, but he's not online right now.

His name is Konkordmusk on here if you wanna ask him.

EDIT:

Quote by freshtunes
Deffinately not goalie. Probably attack or middle, but I'm a bigger kid. 145-150lbs strong build, so I don't know where I would be put.

Holy **** we have the same name...how tall are you exactly?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
I would have you ask my friend, because he's a ****ing lacrosse freak, but he's not online right now.

His name is Konkordmusk on here if you wanna ask him.

EDIT:

Holy **** we have the same name...how tall are you exactly?

Really not sure, 5'10 maybe give or take.
Quote by ottoavist

Quote by freshtunes
Really not sure, 5'10 maybe give or take.

O_o

Same height too.

Scary ****.

But, I weigh 50 pounds more than you.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I live in the city that the sport was invented in

LaCrosse, Wisconsin!!!!

sorry i didnt answer your question, i just read the first sentence
Dream Theater

Me: Hey John Petrucci, you got the time?

Mr.Petrucci: Yeah, its 12/8
Play a real sport instead.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I seriously cannot understand this about lacrosse:

There's a ball, right. Then there's your stick thingy that looks like a miniature butterfly net. There's the goal. And there's the rest of your team and the enemy team.

Now the thing I don't get is that when you get that ball in your net then who's to stop you from just running straight into your enemy's goal and scoring? I mean it's like having a ball in your baseball glove and running around - there's no easy way of getting that ball out of your hands.

So I figure it's a easy-as-hell game for attackers and the goalkeepers and defenders can't do nothing but run along and watch?

Or am I wrong and keeping the ball in your stick/net is harder than running about with a dozen books balancing on your head?
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

Quote by BloodMoon666

There's a ball, right. Then there's your stick thingy that looks like a miniature butterfly net. There's the goal. And there's the rest of your team and the enemy team.

Now the thing I don't get is that when you get that ball in your net then who's to stop you from just running straight into your enemy's goal and scoring? I mean it's like having a ball in your baseball glove and running around - there's no easy way of getting that ball out of your hands.

So I figure it's a easy-as-hell game for attackers and the goalkeepers and defenders can't do nothing but run along and watch?

Or am I wrong and keeping the ball in your stick/net is harder than running about with a dozen books balancing on your head?

At school when we play, there's a three step limit which is annoying at times.
Quote by BloodMoon666

Old bump, BUT, the outrageousness of your question has brought forth my anger and slight mirth.
The sticks aren't magic, the ball WILL come out if we hit it hard enough. Which, often enough, we do. We defenders have longer sticks so with which we can swipe at gloves and arms and sticks to get the ball away from them, to our attackmen.
Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceeBIZZd_lQ
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
I played Lacrosse for a couple years and it was pretty awesome. The one catch though is that I don't think there is any other sport where you will meet as many genuine douche bags as you will in lacrosse. I mean serious "Yo Braaah!" and "Daaang bro, step off mah bi's yo!", douche bags.

Other than that its awesome fun.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
^You're awesome.

Quote by gtmustang2006
Listen to RageAgnstUrJaw.

"I've wronged you, and steal everything from the truth,
Can we find ourselves, walking through a field with no solitude,
The pain goes on."