When choosing tubes, what do they mean by "hard", "medium", or "soft"?

Also, do you get what you pay for? Or are there overpriced brands? How do JJ, electro-harmonix, and sovtek compare, for example?

thrasher_s
Quote by thrasher_s
Meh...once a thread hits 5 pages it gets hard to filter the good advice from the crap. Especially when everyone is contradicting each other.

+1
Here's a hint, read the first post where it describes each brand, then post whatever other questions you have in the tube thread, and someone (probably kevin saale) will answer them.

That's why the thread is so long, and that's why it's a sticky, which you're supposed to read before making a thread
Hard/Medium/Soft refers to the level of the vacuum in the tube. The harder the vacuum the more suited it is for higher gain tones and such
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
Hard/Medium/Soft refers to the level of the vacuum in the tube. The harder the vacuum the more suited it is for higher gain tones and such

Wonderful. Thank you
Gah, I was wrong. I think I got it opposite. I'm pretty sure that it's soft that saturates more readily, and therefore distorts more easily.

Hards have higher saturation levels, so it takes more to distort it.

But for metal and higher gain stuff where you rely on preamp tube distortion, you still want hard power tubes so that you dont get too much power amp distortion.

For classic creamy rock tones with distortion from the power section, it's opposite.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Dec 13, 2008,