Hey, so here's my situation....
I used to play 10's and about a year ago i changed my string gauge to 9's and its been really good. I've now decided I want to go back to 10's. I put some 10s on my strat and it is insanely hard to bend the high e. Is this a problem with the action or springs in the bridge, etc? Or do I have to get used to playing 10's again. I'm pretty sure 10's were never that tough to play and I think my strat needs a lower action and less tension. I've decided im gonna get it setup, and now I'm thinking of putting 10's on my les paul so I can get used to 10's. If i get them both setup for 10s can I later change them to 9's or will it need to be re-setup? I've been really frustrated cause ever since I put those 10's on my strat its been impossible to play and it feels like I suck. I play alot of blues licks so I bend a ton, and I'm not a noob. So thanks UG if you can help me.
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
yah, Im playing a strat with vintage pups so thicker strings means better volume output+clean sound. But does that mean I have to go back to the shop when if I go back to nines?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But, in terms of tonal difference, the jump from 9-10 isn't really that significant. You might hear a little difference, but to really get what I think you're after you should try 11s or 12s.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

really? But i think I'd need to go to 10's first. But it is a bigger difference for clean sounds on strats with vintage output. Its not as tinny sounding. But do alot of people who use 9's find it hard to play 10's
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
???
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets
...you dont know how to adjust the action and tension on your own guitar?

it seems a little retarded to take it to guitar center. $30 charge just to get it up on the workbench when its a 5 minute fix to do it yourself.
its harder to play strings if u jump a gap as far as thickness goes. I used 10's on my schecter before i went to 12's, believe me that was a monumentally huge gap. the tension was way different and tonally it was somewhat thicker.

but apart from that, u dont really need to set it up again if ur guitar is a hardtail, if u do, its just setting intonation, not too much work

Dont worry about what strings u started off, u dont need to chronologically change the strings to get used to the tension, just string em up and ur fingers will get used to it. and stop crying about tension, when the strings break and slap u in the face, come back to us for an e-hug
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
Quote by C3ngl3
...you dont know how to adjust the action and tension on your own guitar?

it seems a little retarded to take it to guitar center. $30 charge just to get it up on the workbench when its a 5 minute fix to do it yourself.

I can but its easy to screw up a strat cause it has a trem, and you'd have to adjust all the saddles, and you could screw up the neck a little. I know how to do it on a les paul and strat but its better to leave it to a pro who can make it play better with minimal fret buzz
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Cabinets