Ok so I started a band like last weekend i think. We recorded a lil diddy that we wrote on protools. So long story short, some guy in new york wants to liscence our song. How do we go about doing this? What should we include in the contract? Is it worth it to liscence the song (we were never going to play live anyways, cuz this is just a side project from my other band)?

thanks
if you guys don't even play shows etc etc etc

I'd say it's a scam.

Edit: not to mention I didn't even know you could license songs.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
no i mean liscensed. Like since were only 15 and cant rly get signed that easily, a signed band is buying our song to use on their album.
Quote by ajmasterjaydude
no i mean liscensed. Like since were only 15 and cant rly get signed that easily, a signed band is buying our song to use on their album.

Sounds dumb. I wouldn't. Sorry.
Unless you really need the cash.
I wanna hear this fabulous song.

Don't just sell the song either. Try to get royalties or something were you get paid for how many times the song plays and a portion of the profit it makes or whatever instead of just like a one time pay day.

/naivety of the music world
Quote by Mudmen190
Sounds dumb. I wouldn't. Sorry.
Unless you really need the cash.

Sounds like some sort of scam to me.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
First, if I were you, I'd register my song: http://www.copyright.gov/

Read the faq, but I think this is not expensive. Even if you're non-USA, they claim you are protected internationally.

Next you should register with a songwriter association like
ASCAP , BMI and SESAC

Read all about it here:
http://www.make-your-own-song.com/performance-royalties/

Best of luck. I hope they are for real. This is exciting.
its not a scam. like, elvis didnt write ne of his own songs, and neither did elton john. this is the same kinda deal. basically, they would buy the rights to play and record and sell the song, and we would get money.
They can do that after you've registered too. But they can rip you off and claim they wrote the song if you're not previously registered.
Let me get this straight... You give them the rights to the song, they do all the work, and you keep all the money?

Sounds like a scam to me...
Ok...theres bands that suck at writing songs, but are great at performing live, so they have other people write songs for them...
Quote by ajmasterjaydude
Ok...theres bands that suck at writing songs, but are great at performing live, so they have other people write songs for them...

That's not the questionable aspect of this; some bands do have professional songwriters working for them. That doesn't change the fact that this guy might be chiseling you...
Step 1) Copyright the song - Someone already posted the info you'll need on that.
Step 2) Don't just sell them the song. Get royalties depending on their use of the song, etc.
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Wait just a minute. You started up a band last weekend, and people are already trying to get your songs licensed?
I want to hear this song. Nao.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
i have absolutely no idea. and yea i know nothing does...tahts why its my side project and we wrote and recorded that in like 4 hours. so i dont know, but im not argueing
Get a lawyer.

Contrary to popular belief the pit is not full of paid legal professionals...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Yeah I have no idea how you're getting "liscenced" seeing how the song kinda sucks, youre 15 years old, and you cant spell...

My band actually does covers of these guys:
www.myspace.com/dickforband
They tried to put me away, but I'm back.
Quote by ajmasterjaydude
Ok so I started a band like last weekend i think. We recorded a lil diddy that we wrote on protools. So long story short, some guy in new york wants to liscence our song. How do we go about doing this? What should we include in the contract? Is it worth it to liscence the song (we were never going to play live anyways, cuz this is just a side project from my other band)?

thanks

These are the things that make this thread smell strongly of BS. I'm not buying that you and some other individuals got together a week ago, recorded some song, and already have somebody wanting the rights to the song, a week later.

Dare I say? It's a TRAP!
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
God, you guys are stupid. Ignore the troll, maybe?

And stop giving him free advertising.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT