I have a crappy Digitech RP80 multi effects, and it has a noise gate on it. My Mesa gets a ****load of feedback, and I know this sounds bad, but I wouldnt mind using the RP80 as a noise gate for when im playing live next week.

I will turn off all the effects on it, and amp modeling, and anything else other than the noise gate, but I was wondering how would I place this in my effects?

In the effects loop, or right in the input
Quote by FRDesign
I have a crappy Digitech RP80 multi effects, and it has a noise gate on it. My Mesa gets a ****load of feedback, and I know this sounds bad, but I wouldnt mind using the RP80 as a noise gate for when im playing live next week.

I will turn off all the effects on it, and amp modeling, and anything else other than the noise gate, but I was wondering how would I place this in my effects?

In the effects loop, or right in the input

Well the noise gate on this thing probably won't do much. But you want a noise gate in front of the amp. If you put it in the fx loop it will only kill some amp hum. It won't kill what most of us call feedback. I'd go out and buy a noise gate man.
I'm getting a noise gate as well, an ISP Decimator.

(noise suppressor, whatever.)
Last edited by Sever_the_Skull at Dec 13, 2008,
Quote by Sever_the_Skull
I'm getting a noise gate as well, an ISP Decimator.

The most retardedly overrated noise gate of all-time.
Quote by Survivalism
The most retardedly overrated noise gate of all-time.

Overrated? You must have not used it right? lol What exactly do you recommend if you think the ISP is over rated?
Guys, the ISP Decimator is not a noise gate anyway, its a noise suppressor. A gate cuts all volume out when you stop playing, a suppressor just cuts out x dB so that you no longer get feedback or hum etc.
Quote by A-5best
Guys, the ISP Decimator is not a noise gate anyway, its a noise suppressor. A gate cuts all volume out when you stop playing, a suppressor just cuts out x dB so that you no longer get feedback or hum etc.

Yes we know but it works like a noise gate... By opening and closing the envelope. Just like the boss ns-2... noise suppressor. It has the options to open and close. When someone ask for a noise gate this is generally what they are looking for. We can get even more technical about it... but he's looking for this kind of thing. Most people just simply call them noise gates.
Quote by FRDesign
Yeah, I just want it to get rid of the feedback, so i dont have to use the volume knob on my guitar in between parts

Yeah thats annoying. Plus I hate the sound of pickups that aren't fully turned up. If you can't afford the isp atleast get the boss ns-2. Some people don't like it but I like it a lot actually. Plug it in front of your amp and not in the fx loop like I said. I wouldn't be able to play my 6505 without one man.
Last edited by hcsn2008 at Dec 13, 2008,
Quote by FRDesign
Well the gigs next friday, so I won't be able to get one by then.

Then your best bet is to stand as far away from the amp as possible. Roll of the volume on the pickups a tad bit and leave it there and you wont have to do it inbetween parts. Turn your mids down even if you like to use a lot.. they cause a lot of feedback. Turn your highs and presence down.
I realize you have an RP90 already, and quite possibly like the effects etc on it. If you are using it SOLELY as a noise gate, however, I would look into something a little more designated to do that job. The ISP Decimator stomp is ideal.

EDIT:

Your profile says you have an MG15.... is it giving that much feedback?
Quote by hcsn2008
Well the noise gate on this thing probably won't do much. But you want a noise gate in front of the amp. If you put it in the fx loop it will only kill some amp hum. It won't kill what most of us call feedback. I'd go out and buy a noise gate man.

I use my Decimator in the loop. It kill the hum from my amp, the extra noise from my Phaser and allows clean stops. If I moved it to the front It would only cut out the noise from my guitar(which is not that noisy to begin with). I fail to see the logic in placing it in front of the amp.[/friendly disagreement]
Sig What?
Quote by darth awsome
I use my Decimator in the loop. It kill the hum from my amp, the extra noise from my Phaser and allows clean stops. If I moved it to the front It would only cut out the noise from my guitar(which is not that noisy to begin with). I fail to see the logic in placing it in front of the amp.[/friendly disagreement]

Yes which is why they make the g string that does both. But it's like this.. you put it in the fx loop and it goes after the pre amp. It will kill amp hum but a lot of times with high output pickups and high gain amps you'll still have feedback... well you might not but certain people do. So they need it in front of the amp to cut out the feedback. Now with that said also.. In front of the amp it doesn't seem to cut out any tone at all. After the pre amp in the fx loop it's almost impossible no matter how good of a noise gate it is to not kill any tone. Because it is effecting the pre amp tone and going into the power amp. I used to keep one in the fx loop and one in front also. But I quit using the one in the fx loop and my amp sounds 10 times better. Yeah it as quiet as hell with it and no amp hum but the tone wasn't as organic or as loud. In front of the amp there is no tone loss and it kills all the feedback.. although does not kill amp hum.
ill add i was always against the idea of it being in the front of the amp too because I used it in the fx loop and got it to kill most of my feedback but still had a little when i used a lot of gain. Basically because it was just killing the amp. And I was like.. it can't work in front of the amp as well. Everyone kept saying it and I talked to the guitar player in Chimaira and he said he used his in front of the amp. So I did it and was like wow.. that's all it took for me to get no feedback. lol I have no feedback at all and no tone loss. No squeels no matter how much gain or mids you use.
Quote by NJNoise
I realize you have an RP90 already, and quite possibly like the effects etc on it. If you are using it SOLELY as a noise gate, however, I would look into something a little more designated to do that job. The ISP Decimator stomp is ideal.

EDIT:

Your profile says you have an MG15.... is it giving that much feedback?
No, that doesnt at all. I use my RP80 in front of that for amp modeling, so it doesnt sound like ****, and it actually has decent tone with it. The noise gate also works pretty good on it.

But,
Its my Mesa Stiletto which is causing a ****load of feedback, even when im like 10 feet away from it, I think I need to turn the treble down though, its usualy at 10, and the presence is pretty high too, Ill turn em down and see if that makes a difference.

And I cant turn down the mids, because I'm playing in a huge high school Gym, and I need to cut through the mix.
Last edited by FRDesign at Dec 13, 2008,