Ive been playing for a little over a year now and i still have trouble changing my damned strings...(go ahead laugh.lol.) but i never get as many winds around the peg as i want to and the higher strings are always too tight, Can anyone tell me wat the hell im goin wrong??

Thanks
-BiOhAZarD722-
Originally Posted by Gizzard101
I personally prefer Dr.Dre but Lil Jon is gangsta home boy fresh aswell.
...lol wtf?
Quote by lzrdsixsix6
sounds like you have a severe case of the dumbass.....it's quite common in the pit really just sleep it off
Are you tightening them evenly?

Also dont worry about it ive been playing for a year and a half and I still have trouble with and hate changing my strings.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Here's what I did; I went out and bought 3 packs of strings. the first set i did came out bad (in terms of desired wraps on the pegs, the way it wound around the peg, etc), so then the second set i used to correct what i did wrong and it came out okay. From then on, whenever i changed strings, i took off the old ones and measured the new ones up to them so id get somewhat the same length as before.

EDIT: ive stopped doing the above since i got a floyd. its so helpful because the more wraps you have on the peg, the longer you can be salvaging your strings. also, the third pack was just there in case i broke a string and needed a quick change
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
Last edited by Phillitalian at Dec 13, 2008,
Quote by BiOhAZarD722
Ive been playing for a little over a year now and i still have trouble changing my damned strings...(go ahead laugh.lol.) but i never get as many winds around the peg as i want to and the higher strings are always too tight, Can anyone tell me wat the hell im goin wrong??

Thanks

How can the higher strings be "too tight"? The tension isn't really relevant, if the string is at the correct pitch then the tension is correct. If they feel too tight to you then you either need to detune, use lighter strings or simply man up and stop being a wuss
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
How can the higher strings be "too tight"? The tension isn't really relevant, if the string is at the correct pitch then the tension is correct. If they feel too tight to you then you either need to detune, use lighter strings or simply man up and stop being a wuss

+1
And you could always try some slinkies instead of standard strings. They're alot more bendy and feel less "tight" under your fingertips.
As for not getting enough wraps around the tuning posts when installing a new set of strings, it just takes practice to get the feel of how much extra to leave when you start winding them up. It's not a science. Just remember, the fatter the string, the more you'll need. 2-4 inches is about normal tho. 2 inches for the high E string, then gradually going up to about 3-4 inches on the low E.
When you put the strings on, pull it tight and then intentionally "push" the string back through the nut to leave slack. How much slack I can't say but the more you leave, the more wrapping you'll have around the tuning pegs.

EDIT: sorry lefty dave, I can't read apparently
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah