Page 1 of 2
ASSUMING im in the right forum, well I was running in the same circles on my guitar and wasnt feeling inspired so I decided to try giving other music a try and ive been listening to bands like bullet for my valentine, shadows fall, atreyu, underoath and such. what im getting at is whats some good songs to start out playing in this genre and in either standard or drop D due to my strings flopping when I downtune to low I cant go much lower than that. and I was playing things like black sabbath, iron maiden, santana, a7x, and a lil kid rock so bear that in mind.
well thanks in advance and sorry for all the bad spelling, grammar, punctuation and such. =D
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
he for the lack of a good computer it takes nearly 20 mins for a song to load up =P im nonetheless wanting a good song to start out with that incorporates the styles of the metal/metalcore whichever you prefere =P
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
If you really wanna develop your chops, you could try learning some As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, or some All That Remains stuff, although i think they play in Drop C... but I play their stuff in Drop D all the time, it really only matters if you play along with it.

hehe, all "A" bands, i just noticed.
As for hardcore stay in standard and check out this band called Minor Threat.

As for GOOD metal listen to Death, and study the art that is Chuck Shuildners(sp?) riffs.
How can I keep Stability
On such shaky ground?
Prayers that a smile will flag me down.
look at some "the devil wears prada" stuff. most of its in drop d
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey 6505+
Marshall Mg 15dfx
Boss dd-3
Korg PitchBlack
Isp Decimator

Quote by madh4ttr
+10 to you and GO RED SOX
props for trying something new. but as im sure you will in time discover, there are better bands out there. check the rec thread at the top of the page for suggestions.

also re: your strings, get some thicker strings, as the strings you use to play tunes in standard will not do for downtuning.
Means
Misery Signals
Saints never surrender
The Chariot
Poison the Well

Might be drop c but you can easily play their stuff in drop d.

also, get thicker strings so they retain tension when tuned low
Quote by the bartender
^ this man knows his stuff.
Quote by Redsox4ever5955
look at some "the devil wears prada" stuff. most of its in drop d

not this.
Quote by handbanana
R.I.P. Shaun Hand from Metal Sucks. He leaked this album and now Jake Bannon is going to crush his skull
play atreyu songs, if you wanna play some stuff in drop d every time i die is pretty easy to learn and i'd say its not too far off of what you might listen to. also a day to remember's song are extremely easy to learn look them up
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
Lamb Of God/Trivium (on ascendancy) are apparently metalcore, and their stuff is in Drop D, and it can get pretty technical too, so its good to have a chalenge.

Looking through all bands labeled as Metalcore that i have, they all seem to be Drop C but just invest in some thicker gague strings and you wont get as much flap.
Quote by JxD
No, bad! Nu-metalcore

i class them as metal, but apparently were supposed to call them metalcore. Still wouldnt 'Nu-metalcore' still be metalcore?
Quote by andyscoot
i class them as metal, but apparently were supposed to call them metalcore. Still wouldnt 'Nu-metalcore' still be metalcore?

Nu-metalcore is to metalcore what nu-metal is to metal. There are similarities, but the music is still vastly different.
To me Trivium and Lamb of God sound nothing to what i think metalcore actually is. Whenever in conversation with someone i just refer to them as metal. Also JxD i like term nu-metalcore to describe bands like TDWP etc. Im gonna start to use it.
Last edited by brad5992 at Jun 22, 2009,
August Burns Red! Not in dropped D but still...
Friends are like potatoes, if you eat them they die.
Quote by brad5992
To me Trivium and Lamb of God sound nothing to what i think metalcore actually is. Whenever in conversation with someone i just refer to them as metal. Also JxD i like term nu-metalcore to describe bands like TDWP etc. Im gonna start to use it.

Thankyou! It's not meant to be an insult or anything, it's merely meant to differentiate between metalcore and this new wave of "metalcore."
Quote by JxD
Thankyou! It's not meant to be an insult or anything, it's merely meant to differentiate between metalcore and this new wave of "metalcore."

lamb of god have been around since 1990

id hardly call that new

Quote by JxD
Nu-metalcore is to metalcore what nu-metal is to metal. There are similarities, but the music is still vastly different.

So nu-metalcore fuses hip hop with metalcore?

No course not.
Last edited by andyscoot at Jun 23, 2009,
i think its funny how people somehow translate thrash metal into hardcore
blows my mind

Quote by andyscoot
So nu-metalcore fuses hip hop with metalcore?

No course not.

and nu-metalcore is by no means defined as hip hop fused with metal, thats like 4 or 5 bands in the genre. would you call system of a down and disturbed hip- hop? mushroom head? deftones? korn?
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 23, 2009,
Quote by handbanana
i think its funny how people somehow translate thrash metal into hardcore
blows my mind

Well since thrash started as an offshoot of hardcore punk, its closer to hardcore than jazz is.

Also, i hope your not calling Lamb Of God thrash.

Quote by handbanana

and nu-metalcore is by no means defined as hip hop fused with metal, thats like 4 or 5 bands in the genre. would you call system of a down and disturbed hip- hop? mushroom head? deftones? korn?

Im using his logic against him. "Nu metalcore is to metalcore what nu metal is to metal."

Plus i clearly explained i consider Lamb Of God to be metal, but by metalheads, for some reason, they are considered metalcore.

Makes sense now?
i like how iv never seen andy post in this forum til like yestrday and he acts liek he owns the place, funny how he's getting PWNed in multiple threads. JxD rules. And it funny how you completely dont understand at all what jxd is explaining.

Real Metalcore = BTBAM, Botch, Converge, etc.

Nu-Metalcore=Bring Me The Horizon, The Devil Wears Prada, Emmure, etc.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 23, 2009,
Quote by JxD
This is a ridiculous statement, you just took what I said out of context.

You called trivium and lamb of god nu metalcore, correct?

You also said 'nu metalcore is to metalcore what nu metal is to metal'

Nu metal is the fusion of things like hip hop to metal, so by that, nu metalcore is the addition of things like hip hop to metalcore. Im not taking it out of context, im taking what you said.

Also i dont act like i own the place, i post, which is what a forum is meant to do. Im sorry i havent been around quite as long as you, but just remember, you have to start somewhere

I've actually been making a point of not being negative to your posts since we had the little argument, and you're still carrying it on.

EDIT: And it still dosent change the fact that i was just trying to help someone who wanted bands in drop D. I dont see how naming bands who are regarded as metalcore (they even both have threads in this section, though i distinctly said i consider them to be metal) in a 'recomend me some metalcore' thread turned into this.
Quote by Internal Chaos
If Lamb of God have been around for 19 years, why do they only have a few albums?

They have 5, thats more than a few, its also more than a lot of bands have released since 1999

They started in 1990 but didnt get their break until 1998 when they recorded Burn The Priest, released in 1999. Still quite old for a "metalcore" band. When the experts (JxC/Handbanana) claim that proper metalcore is converge etc started around the same time as LoG.
andy your just not listening dude

he is saying nu in the fact that its a subgenre of what most would consider a better genre and people can do without. not the style of music.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
not exactly how i wanted to word it but i didnt know how else to^
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
So what, they did nothing for 8 years? They didn't bother writing until they knew they'd get money for it?

They are part of the new wave. Why? Because they're part of that scene, came out with all of those generic bands and, whilst admitedly sounding different, contain many of the stereotypical core elements that nu-metalcore has taken.

I dunno if this slight section of text will drill through your diamond skull, but here goes. METAL began in the 70's, opposing punk and developed alongside hardcore. In the early 1990's, the scene became stale in the mainstream for metal, getting replaced by the underground areas of death and black metal. Kids wanted something else, so bands like Slipknot and Korn came out and they were the NU-METAL wave.

In METALCORE, bands like Integrity, Shai Hulud and Converge were getting more popular. But in the early 2000's melodic death metal bands started becoming popular, more notably, At The Gates. Kids fused this style of death metal with metalcore, and created the NU-METALCORE wave.

Got it?
Quote by handbanana
andy your just not listening dude

he is saying nu in the fact that its a subgenre of what most would consider a better genre and people can do without. not the style of music.

Genre and style are interchangeable terms.
Quote by Internal Chaos
So what, they did nothing for 8 years? They didn't bother writing until they knew they'd get money for it?

Or they just didnt get signed until 8 years on....

Quote by Internal Chaos

They are part of the new wave. Why? Because they're part of that scene, came out with all of those generic bands and, whilst admitedly sounding different, contain many of the stereotypical core elements that nu-metalcore has taken.

I dunno if this slight section of text will drill through your diamond skull, but here goes. METAL began in the 70's, opposing punk and developed alongside hardcore. In the early 1990's, the scene became stale in the mainstream for metal, getting replaced by the underground areas of death and black metal. Kids wanted something else, so bands like Slipknot and Korn came out and they were the NU-METAL wave.

In METALCORE, bands like Integrity, Shai Hulud and Converge were getting more popular. But in the early 2000's melodic death metal bands started becoming popular, more notably, At The Gates. Kids fused this style of death metal with metalcore, and created the NU-METALCORE wave.

Got it?

And what im saying is i accept theyre not metalcore. I think i may have said the sentence 'i consider them to be metal' about 5 times on this page alone. I know what ****ing metal is, im what you might call a regular in the metal forum. Im the new guy in this place though. All i am saying is that lamb of god are CONSIDERED metalcore, as in, they have a thread in the hardcore section, and whatnot. And he asked for metalcore bands in drop d, and to my (limited) knowlege of this genre, i could only think of trivium and lamb of god who play in drop d, and both have threads in the hardcore section, so i thought it would be apropriate section.

But no, you lot are all knowing in this section so you have to explain why what im saying is wrong. When in actual fact, "nu-metalcore" is as much metalcore as your early metalcore bands. Just like folk metal is still metal, just because they took folk music and combined it with metal dosent mean its not metal anymore.

Those are my main 2 points, but i guess i know nothing because ive only started posting here for a few days. If youre going to pull that one. I guess i know more about guitar because ive been here for 3 years longer than handbanana
now this is just getting dumb.

In other news, andyscoot sent me a message tonight. Everyone please read and refelect.

i know we dont get along at all on these forums, and part of that is my fault. I dislike hating on bands i like as much as you would hate me hating on bands you like, and thats why i called you out. But really, i dont want this conflict to carry on, so im apologising for my part in this conflict. I realise youve been here longer than i have, but that dosent mean i cant voice my opinion, or that i should be spoken down to because im new to this particular part of the forum. If you dont want to be friendly, thats fine, but from now on, i think we should either ignore each others posts, or be nice. Its ruining other threads through elitism from both of us.

Your thoughts?
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by likeomgtehtuck!
Never Back Down

I have yet to see this movie.
Quote by handbanana
now this is just getting dumb.

In other news, andyscoot sent me a message tonight. Everyone please read and refelect.

Your thoughts?

Sorry for trying to be the bigger man by trying to stop people de-reailing threads because their head is too far up their own ass to let a few comments in other threads go.
Page 1 of 2